62 | romance

Chapter 62 : Romance 

Ruhaani was multi-tasking in the kitchen. On one stove she had mounted a milk pan to make tea. On another, she was heating the tawa for making the savoury French toasts. On the third, she was heating milk for the kids. Her hands were occupied in beating the eggs.

The doctor had prescribed rest for Dai Jaan. She had to avoid standing for a few days until her inflammation subsided. As a result, Ruhaani had to take care of everything in the kitchen that required standing.

"Good morning!" Aadarsh greeted upon entering the kitchen. He was surprised to find her already up and about, unlike the previous day.

"Good morning," Ruhaani said, not bothering to look up as she opened the packet of bread. She was late. She didn't know how Dai Jaan managed to make three different beverages, two to four options for breakfast, for the spoilt Sehgal siblings and lunch for their lunch boxes. She was really a superhuman and Ruhaani wasn't even one fourth of that.

"Where's Sarika?" He asked referring to the house-help, looking around the kitchen.

"Day off." Ruhaani answered, hurriedly walking to the counter behind and reaching for the cabinet to get two cups out. In that brief moment, the milk boiled over and escaped the confines of the pan. She hurried back to switch off the gas but was a moment too late. "Ugh!" she groaned.

Aadarsh watched her, and observed all the work around the kitchen she had had get done, wondering how he could help her. He quietly walked out of the kitchen. He looked at Abhi and Ashvi who were chatting with each other.

"Abhi, Ashvi," he said and they both looked at him.

"Ruhaani is alone in the kitchen. Don't you think it's basic manners to help her out?"

"Bhai, I can't function without coffee." Abhi muttered, as he had his arms folded on the table and rested his chin on top of them.

"Then make yourself that damn coffee." Aadarsh remarked.

"Jeez, what crawled up your..." Abhi paused as his brother gave him a really piercing glare, daring him to complete that and see what the consequence would be.

"And you both think, you're capable of functioning independently?" Aadarsh muttered. "Abhi, come on get up, go make coffee. Ashvi, go cut fruits for yourself." He ordered.

Abhi and Ashvi exchanged looks. It was unusual for Aadarsh to get into household stuff and be concerned with who did what in the house or in the kitchen. All these years, he never gave a damn.

"Now," his voice thundered, and they scrambled out of their chairs.

Aadarsh turned around and entered the kitchen himself. He walked up to the kitchen to find Ruhaani cleaning the stove where the milk had spilled. He stood beside her. She looked up at him. "Two minutes, I will..."

"I will take care of this," he said, as she moved to pick up the milk pan with the tea.

"Half cup for you?" He asked picking up the sieve, taking up the responsibility of the tea.

"Yes," she said looking at him surprised. It was just strange that he knew she never filled the cup full for herself, it was always half cup of tea for her. She wondered how he knew.

"Bhabhs, where's the coffee powder that we put into this machine?" Abhi's voice made her turn around to find him standing at the corner table, at the other end of their spacious kitchen, where the coffee machine and kettle were placed.

"Uh, I will make it for you." She offered immediately, placing down the bread in her hand on the cutting board.

Aadarsh held her hand, "don't treat him like a kid, he's an adult. Right Abhi?" He asked, turning to look across the room.