71 | past & present

Chapter 71 : Past & Present

Dear Ruhaani,

This is your husband reporting from the most beautiful valley of Himalayas. It's rightly said that Kashmir is a piece of heaven on earth.

I wish you were here.

I hope things have been good for you back at home. I know my mother can be a bit dramatic, a lot orthodox and a tiny bit fussy, but she has a very big heart. Take care of her for me, please.

And take care of yourself.

Okay, I think I am not clearly good at writing letters. I am not sure what more can I write here.

I had my favourite Kashmiri pulao for lunch.

The weather is cold. Nights are even colder. The first snowfall of the season should be round the corner.

I hope you at least smile half of what you smiled when I gave you the first letter when you're reading this. Any tips for me to write more 'romantic' letters? Don't say read a book, I can't.

P.S. – I still think emails are a much better, faster and convenient way than letters to communicate, when I have access to internet . Let me know what you think.

Yours Truly,

Harsh.

Ruhaani smiled staring at the piece of paper. He took the time to write letters just for her. It made her heart feel heavy. She folded the sheet of paper along the original creases and slipped it back into the envelope.

She picked the second envelope and pulled out the sheet of paper from it. Surprisingly, a polaroid picture also fell out of it. It was a beautiful picture of snowfall in a valley that was already covered in snow.

Dear Ruhaani,

I hope you've read the letters in the right order. I wrote the dates on the envelopes, hope that helped. I didn't get a chance to post the last letter. I wrote to you in the previous letter that snowfall was around the corner. Guess what, the first snowfall came before I could post the letter.

I have attached a picture I clicked on Ojaswin's camera for you. You would have loved it here, it was a beautiful sight.

I have witnessed snowfall many times in my life. But each time it feels like the first time. There's a magic in the mountains. Maybe in a few years from now we could move to a quaint mountain town. Trust me, life in the mountains is beautiful. What do you think?

I am sipping on some really good hot chocolate as I write this letter. It's the best thing about winters. I am just enjoying the life in town until I am posted at the camp.

Three more days to my posting at the highest LOC. I am both thrilled and anxious. Major Kundan is known to be the most disciplined man. I am going to be reporting to him. I have always wanted to. You know it's said that those who thrive under his leadership turn out to be the best.