74 | disappointment

Note : Recommended to read chapter 71 and 73 before reading this. (Since it's been too long!)

• • •

Chapter 74 : Disappointment 

Aadarsh took a few deep breaths as he gently closed the door of the hall. He looked to his left and then to his right. There was no one there. Abhi and Ruhaani had probably headed downstairs. He let out a deep breath and walked over to the steps and sat himself down.

He felt like an utter failure. The twins were scared, Mukti had been crying and Nirvaan had been coming up with optimistic explanations to explain Pari's absence. Ashvi had gone silent, something she did when she was fearful. Abhi was restless. And Ruhaani... she was devastated.

He momentarily closed his eyes. He was scared, very scared. He had no control over the situation. There was no way he could undo any of his past actions or skew any of the future outcomes in his favour.

Pari was gone.

Pari was kidnapped.

"Go get any one thing from the store, that you like and want, but be back in five minutes. Time starts now."

Pari was gone because of him.

Pari was kidnapped because of him.

A lone tear streamed it's way down his cheek.

"You're a good father, I will give you that." Ruhaani had once said to him.

It was many nights ago. It was pretty late in the night and they were both having a random conversation about kids, something they had begun to do quite often.

He had turned to look at her. The sincerity in her gaze hadn't escaped his notice. Ruhaani rarely complemented him voluntarily. If she said it, she meant it. And to him, that meant the world.

She had then looked at him with a conviction, that had removed all lingering doubts. "I am glad Pari has you. Having a doting father, especially as a girl, is a very ...secure feeling, I don't know how else to describe that. It's like knowing, there will always be one man out there, ready to fight the world for you, ready to be there for you, ready to be your shield. To be there, when you need a shoulder to cry on, to make you smile again.

You know today, when Pari got her finger hurt, she ran straight to you. She didn't look for me."

Aadarsh, a bit confused had replied, "She would have run to you if she had seen you. It's a natural instinct."

Ruhaani had smiled—that heart-touching smile that came right from the depth of the soul. The one that could melt his entire heart in a blink. "Exactly. You've become her instinct. That's why you're a good father."

"Bhai,"

The voice made Aadarsh open his eyes and come back from that memory— a memory that was once a soothing warmth, but now hotter than burning coal.

He had failed Pari. He had failed Ruhaani. He had failed himself.

Abhi had ran up the stairs with Ruhaani following him.

"I printed some photographs of Pari." Abhi spoke. "Please let's go to the police Bhai. I am sure they'll find her."

"Abhi," Aadarsh uttered momentarily closing his eyes, considering the suggestion that had already crossed his mind about ten times since the time Pari was gone.

He didn't trust Devashish's team one bit, but he trusted Devashish. He had been with that man long enough to know that he may not look serious on the outside but he was always laser-focused on his goal. And right now, Devashish's goal was to get his daughter back.