42 | knowing

Before you read ahead, kindly take a minute to vote on previous chapters of this book. That will surely help this book. Thanks!

Saturday is technically here so...happy reading!

***

Chapter 42 : knowing

Aadarsh stealthily entered the room. He had resolved issues with both Abhi and Ashvi. Thankfully, Ashvi had been told that he and Abhi had fought over visiting their father, nothing beyond that. She had assumed the issue was that he had refrained Abhi from visiting their father for the festival.

Aadarsh was more than relieved.

He had taken both of them out for ice cream after dinner to spend some time with them. They both had grown up so fast. Perhaps he should really stop treating them like kids and become more like their friend instead of a guardian. Like Ruhaani was.

After returning he had checked on Pari and Mukti. Both of them were fast asleep, tucked neatly into bed. He could almost imagine Ruhaani tucking them in and giving them their good night kisses on the forehead.

He had finally reached his room, which was dark. It took a few seconds for his eyes to get adjusted to the lighting of the room. The room was mostly dark, except for the weak golden light that filtered in from the walk-in closet.

Ruhaani who had been reading from her kindle looked up as the light from the closet was briefly obstructed. She almost gasped, creeped out, as Aadarsh 's tall frame stood beside her. She hadn't heard him enter the room.

"You scared me!" She muttered.

"Shh!" He whispered, placing his index finger on his lips and then pointed to Nirvan.

Ruhaani placed the device in her hand on the nightstand and got of the bed. She held his hand and walked over to the wall of the room away from the bed.

"Where were you?" She whispered.

"I took Abhi and Ashvi out for ice cream." He answered in a breathy voice.

Ruhaani almost felt bad for not even being asked to come. She almost felt left out, but then she told herself that the siblings needed to bond too. Especially after all the silent treatment they had been subjecting each other to since the past week. Besides, she would have refused anyways, to be with Nirvan.

"All okay?" She asked.

"Yes. Did you give Nirvan the medicine?" He asked in a hushed voice.

"Yes. He seemed in pain. Both elbow and leg." She murmured.

Aadarsh turned to the side to his brother sleeping in the center of his bed. A pillow had been cushioned below his arm.

"He'll be fine," Ruhaani said.

Aadarsh's head slowly turned back to her and his gaze cascaded back onto her face. She wore her pistachio green set of pajamas and matching tee-shirt. Her hair loosely braided. How was she so thoughtful and so understanding? She was pretty good at understanding the unsaid. Perhaps she was good at reading body language or micro expressions.

He nodded, trying to stop thinking about her. "I know. Just feeling bad for him."

Ruhaani couldn't help but admire the man. The way he loved his siblings was so damn heartwarming. His life revolved around them. He had fixed things with two siblings only to worry about the third's wellbeing now.

She wondered what went on inside him. Did he not get tired being responsible all the time? Didn't the grey actions he took for the sake of his siblings come to haunt him later? Did he not hurt every time his father was brought up? Did he not feel anything at all?