Chapter 4

"Just. One. More. Moment," Erica mumbled, holding a pin between her teeth as she stuck another through the bottom of my dress. Erica had insisted that I wear a baby blue gown for my first meeting with Hades. I didn't question her decision, but Erica said she'd chosen the colour because it was Hades' favourite colour on Persephone. Ignoring the incestuous undertone, Erica said it would be likely to make him more partial to me. I wasn't exactly filled with hope – it tasted a bit more like disgust.

"Do you know what Hades wants with me?" I asked, forcing myself to keep still so that Erica could finish her task.

She pulled the pin from her teeth and glanced up at me.

"I know as much as you do about Hades' intentions. But I wouldn't worry too much, Miss. Whatever the issue is, Hades will listen to Persephone's input. As long as you have Persephone on your side, I don't think Hades will do you any harm."

Fabulous.

Erica continued her work, utterly oblivious to the disaster I had now found myself in.

"And if I don't have Persephone on my side?" I questioned.

Erica stilled. "If that's the case...just make sure you bow when you enter the same hall as him and introduce yourself when spoken to. Always keep your body language open and face him directly. Listen to what he has to say without interrupting. And, lastly, do not ever speak back to him. Not unless you want to be fed to the hellhounds." Erica pulled the base of my dress down, gave herself a tiny nod of approval and stood up.

"There are hellhounds here?" I asked, my voice slightly higher pitched than normal.

"Hades often has some stationed along the perimeter of the castle when he has important meetings or gatherings." Erica frowned deeply. "I believe they're kept and fed further away, though."

"Wherever it is, it is not far enough," I muttered.

Erica looked inclined to agree.

Someone knocked on the door and Erica opened it to find a guard waiting.

"His Highness is ready to see Serena in the Throne Room," the guard announced, turning their gaze to look me up and down. "I presume you are ready?"

I swallowed the lump in my throat and nodded slowly. "I am."

And then I readied myself to find out what had made Hades so infamous.

*****

I had two guards ahead of me and two guards trailing behind me as they knocked on the door to the Throne Room. I found myself wringing my hands together as we waited, then tucked them behind me so that Hades wouldn't be able to witness my runaway nerves.

The massive double doors opened outwards, giving me my first glance at the deep red wallpaper detailed with gold, stretching up the high ceilings. Sparkling mahogany wood and lavish red rugs adorned the floor, looking as though they were brand new but could possibly have been centuries of years old. I gazed upwards, spying opulent chandeliers hung symmetrically throughout the room. The attached candles sent light bouncing from the chandeliers' dripping crystals, until they became too bright to look at.

And directly ahead of us, Hades and Persephone sat in towering throne chairs, seemingly unaware of the beautiful canopy which hung over them. Hades, positioned in the centre of the room with Persephone sitting on his right, leaned forward in keen interest. His eyes zeroed in on me and I stiffened, the memory of him emerging from his carriage flashing through my mind. Hades had appeared tired then, and it was clear that he wasn't experiencing that fatigue now. His slitted eyes were alert, watching me step forward with a frown etched behind his full beard. He had the sort of interest a predator would have in their prey mere moments before pouncing.