Chapter 26

The Underworld had been ruled by Hades for three millennia, and he wanted everyone to know it.

To celebrate Hades' anniversary as ruler of the Underworld, he was hosting a ball tonight that was supposed to be so magnificent that it put even Plutus' parties to shame, or so Erica had told me.

My stomach had dipped when she'd brought out lengths of various fabrics, posing them around the room while asking me what type of dress or colour I wanted to wear. Erica was so enthusiastic about creating a stunning gown that I'd faked my enthusiasm, pointing at one colour in random and hoping that she would like it. Erica had grinned wildly when I'd selected a dark emerald green satin, so I knew I'd made the right choice.

When I wasn't forced to stand still so Erica could measure every inch of my waistline or the length of my legs, I'd spent time with Alek training in the gym. Every muscle in my body cried out after each session, but he'd given me a cream which had helped ease the pain. Now, when I looked in the mirror, I was finally seeing the changes in my body. A few weeks ago, I was malnourished and frail, but a lot had changed in such a short period of time. I was eating plenty of healthy foods and exercising consistently, making the muscles on my arms, legs and stomach well defined.

I only wish my good health had been born under different circumstances.

In the last few days, I had also avoided the forest. Persephone said Hades had cleaned up the bodies there, but I didn't think I could go back there without imagining how close I'd come to death. The forest, which had once been the calming image of serenity and my escapism, was now a dark reminder of the tournament.

"Everyone is going to be staring at me tonight," I told Erica as she combed through my wet hair with a brush. "Just like they've been staring at me for the past couple of days."

She clicked her tongue. "That may be the case, but tonight they're going to be staring at you for a different reason," she said with a gleeful smile.

An hour later, she took a step back to appraise her work. Erica had styled my hair in a low bun and curled a few stray strands to fall around my face. She had also completed a nude makeup look with hints of gold in my eyeshadow and highlight, which she'd said would complement the dress. As soon as she pulled out the dress from my cupboard, I understood the hints of gold. Somehow, Erica had managed to design and create a stunning satin emerald dress. Its modest high neck was contrasted with a daringly open back and gold crystal embellishments. It was more on the risky side than I was used to, but suddenly I couldn't wait to see what it looked like on. Erica helped me slip into the dress and then finished the look with a pair of gold crystal earnings and equally dazzling shoes. When I stared at my reflection in the mirror, I barely recognised myself and knew Camilla would have been breaking out in a sweat if she saw me. Hell, even the low back caused me to blush.

Persephone insisted on escorting me to the ballroom. She met me at my bedroom door wearing an empire waist white gown with silver detailing and a glistening crown. Normally, I would have said wearing a crown was overkill, but she managed to pull it off just as usual.

The ballroom was a flurry of activity and dancing when we arrived. The large crystal chandelier cast glistening beams of light across the room, accented by the candles lining the walls and those used as decorations on the tables. The intimate lighting brought life to the various coloured outfits of all the guests. In all my time in the Underworld, I had never seen so much colour. Gowns in all forms of red, blue, purple and yellow embellished the dance floor. Erica had told me there would be plenty more people here tonight than merely those in the tournament, and that was abundantly clear from one glance of the room.

In the centre of it all, Hades stood tall while talking to a group of men and women, dressed in a full white suit. I imagined accidentally tripping and spilling red wine over his pristine outfit, and a small smile tugged at my lips. Persephone brushed a hand along my elbow and gestured for me to follow her. I couldn't see anyone here that I recognised, so I followed her lead as she introduced me to several key stakeholders in the Underworld, all from the various cities. I played along as she paraded me around. I tirelessly explained on repeat how I was born and raised on Earth, and how, no, I didn't want to become the Underworld's next ruler. The reactions I received from my latter answer ranged from understanding, to shock, to pure and utter disbelief. Persephone was just about to introduce me to a man with a hooked nose and leering gaze when I decided to make my escape and excuse myself to get a refreshment. I should have expected, however, that none of the drinks would look familiar.