Chapter 29

The heat from the Underworld seeped into my every pore as I opened my eyes against the harsh red of the sky. The wastelands stretched out in front of me, an endless abyss of lifelessness. I'd just spent the past couple days trying to escape the wastelands, and somehow it still managed to find its way into my sleep.

"You're making it difficult to keep it up with you while you're away from Calista," the woman – Persephone – said, watching me with a raised brow. She looked more business-like today, with her hair tied back in a slick high pony and a white pantsuit that Camilla would be envious of.

She continued, "The last I saw of you, you were in the heart of Greed City. Are you enjoying being a tourist?"

Anger surged through me, lighting every nerve on fire. Here Persephone stood in front of me, hoping to sweet-talk her way to getting more information of my whereabouts. I closed the distance between us, enjoying the uneasiness in her eyes at my approach.

"How dare you," I growled, hands fisted, "how dare you come into my dreams, use me to get your information to Hades and send guards after me. I don't care if we're related, or if you need me for whatever reason, but I'm not your pawn to bargain with."

Her eyes widened in surprise. Good. It felt nice knowing she wasn't entirely omniscient.

Persephone was silent for a moment, the cogs in her eyes turning over. "Alek is smart, I'll give him that. Yes, we are related. That's how I can cross over into your dreams when you're asleep."

I gritted my teeth. "Give me one reason why I shouldn't just wake myself up."

She raised her head and the corner of her lip quirked. "Isn't our shared blood a good enough reason?"

I scoffed. "I don't trust people because of their blood. I trust them because of their actions."

A moment of silence passed, neither of us daring to break our stare-off.

She cocked her head to the side, watching me like one might analyse their test subject. Methodical. Cold. "Okay, Serena. If you trust people because of their actions, ask me anything and I'll answer you honestly."

I scoffed. "I'll trust you when you stop sending guards after me."

"That's not me."

"Yes, but since your husband is the one searching for me, I'd say you have some degree of responsibility."

She couldn't hold back a smile – which only frustrated me more –but she remained silent, her eyes sparkling with amusement.

"So," I cleared my throat. "You're Persephone?"

"I thought you'd already figured that out."

"I just want you to be clear."

She nodded. "I am."

"Are you related to my mum or dad?" I asked, waiting with bated breath.

Persephone watched me with a levelled look, like she was debating whether I could handle it. Part of me assumed Persephone's bloodline was on dad's side, considering he'd dedicated his entire life to studying Greek mythology, but I couldn't deny that despite his unusual career choice, dad seemed very...human. I could hardly imagine him as a descendant of a Greek mythological figure. Dad was the kind of person who made simple human mistakes, like stubbing his toe on the first step of the staircase, or forgetting to water the plants.

Then again, on Earth I'd been the same. I hardly came across as powerful or mysterious. The most intriguing thing about my life on Earth had been my ability to withstand Camilla's crude jokes.