Chapter 22

Eventually, I managed to drag myself away from my deadly cocoon and back up the stairs to my bedroom. Erica was waiting for me when I stumbled in, my vision blurry from dried tears and exhaustion. She straightened from her position in front of the cupboard and gave me her full, concerned, attention. Her sympathy bore into me and made me want to scurry back to my hiding place.

"Miss, how are you?"

I appreciated that she didn't simply ask me whether I was okay – I think it was already obvious that I wasn't.

"I need some time alone please," I said softly, unable to meet her gaze.

Her expression fell momentarily, but she nodded in understanding. "Of course," she stammered, kicking into gear and collecting her belongings.

It was then that I noticed a fresh, steaming hot cup of tea with a what appeared to be chocolate beside it on my bedside table. A glance at the bathroom also let me know Erica had lit some candles and ran a warm bubble bath. The smell of vanilla made its way to my nose.

As she braced a hand on the doorknob, I felt a pang of guilt for kicking her out.

"Erica?" I called.

She stilled and glanced back at me. "Yes, miss?"

"Thank you."

I didn't think I would be able to say much else without releasing a sob.

The corners of Erica's eyes softened. "You're welcome. Would you like me to come back in a couple hours to see if you need anything?"

I shook my head gently. "Thank you, but I'll be okay."

Her gaze lingered on me for only a moment before she nodded, resigned, and left the bedroom quietly. When she was gone, I shucked off my clothes, letting them fall to the floor, and eased myself into the bath. Unsurprisingly, the warmth of the water was unable to ease the tension in my muscles. I took a deep breath and submerged myself completely under water, closing my eyes as the noises of the world disappeared into a vacuum until I was left with only myself and my thoughts.

I remained in that position, holding my breath, for a lot longer than I'd anticipated. My anger, while dissipating, provided me with a distraction. I should have known that Hades would take any opportunity to exert his dominance and renege our agreement. I should have realised this long ago and convinced Kadyn to escape. Guilt crushed at my chest. Kadyn was only dead because he'd helped me escape from the mines in Sloth City. I knew Kadyn wouldn't want to me consider that train of thought, but that didn't stop it from being true.

My red hair floated in the water around me, tickling my throat and taunting me to return to the surface, but I wasn't ready yet. I could easily stay under the water for years if it meant I remained oblivious to the activities in the castle. I didn't even want to consider the thought that Hades would be returning to his quarters tonight, where my mother would undoubtedly meet him.

That thought alone made me sick, and I resolved to ignore my mother for the remainder of the tournament, despite the small progression our relationship had taken. She knew that Hades and I would never get along, and I didn't mind making that even more clear when my friends were getting hurt at his hands. Persephone allowing that harm to happen was almost as bad as Hades doing the harm himself. Weren't mothers supposed to put their children's' interests ahead of their own?

I breathed out underwater and watched as the air turned into bubbles, floated upwards and broke the surface. The only downside to ignoring Persephone was losing my trainer. That fact alone was menacing enough when images of some of the contenders' menacing and leering expressions haunted my thoughts. It was impossible to know whether contenders were friends or foe, and whether the agendas they held included taking down the competition. I hoped, for my sake, that they would overlook me.