Chapter 18

The fear-based tests commenced significantly earlier than a healthy wake-up time and were scheduled to end after dinner. Like the other participants, Hades had given me a specific time to meet him in the castle foyer. From there, I would be escorted to the test location. Because the tests took a considerable amount of time per person, we each had about a half hour time slot.

Hades had told me to meet him at midday, emphasising that it wouldn't reflect well upon me if I was late to meet the Three Fate Sisters. Just to be safe, I arrived at the foyer ten minutes early, pacing through the space in a loosely fitted top and straight pants. I worried I would be underdressed for the occasion, but a 'Fear Test' didn't necessarily scream lavish gowns or even jewellery. If the Sisters judged me for my appearance, then that was better than being uncomfortable and potentially failing as a result.

I almost screamed when Hades materialised in front of me, the only hint of his arrival being the flash of shadow that preceded his appearance. I put a hand to my chest, feeling it rapidly rise and fall.

"Give me a break, the test isn't supposed to have started yet," I stated, exasperated.

"A true leader of the Underworld would be ready for anything," he stated simply, the disapproval clear in his tone. I didn't bother pointing out that I had no interest in being a leader. "If my sudden appearance scares you, then you'll certainly have trouble during the test."

I swallowed thickly; my throat dry. If I performed badly in the test, though, that would allow Hades to reap from the conditions of our oath and allow him to hurt Kadyn. I had to pass this test, both for Kadyn and Leo.

"Best to get this over with," Hades said, holding an arm out.

I shot him a look. "You're offering me your arm?"

"We have to get to the Sisters' location," he said simply. "This is the fastest way there."

My entire body froze. "Wait, you mean you're going to teleport us there?"

He sighed as though it took him great effort. "I don't teleport anywhere, but I certainly speed up the process. Now grab my arm so we can get on with it."

I eyed his arm suspiciously, like it was about to grow its own head and tail. Hades looked about as displeased as me of the idea of contact. With some reluctance, I did as he said and could do nothing as the world span around me. It was like Hades had mentioned–we weren't disappearing in one place and appearing in another, but the process was so quick that from the outside it certainly looked like that. Rooms blended into a concoction of colours, and warm air ripped at my face, alerting me to the fact that we were now outside the castle. The sensory overload sent my brain into overdrive, and nausea threatened to rise up into something much worse.

One minute I was standing in the castle foyer, the next minute I was all but thrown into unyielding darkness. I sensed the moment my feet met uneven ground and dug my fingers into Hades' arm when we stopped so that I wouldn't end up sprawled in the deep blackness.

"We're here," Hades' voice rumbled.

As soon as I knew I could stand on two feet, I removed my hand from his arm and blinked in an effort to gauge our surroundings. I winced as the wind continued to whistle around us, pushing my hair into my eyes. I pushed it away quickly, trying to ignore the icy feeling forming at the base of my neck. Heart beating loudly in my chest, the next thing I noticed was the smell. The stale air had an overwhelming smell of slimy linchen that made me scrunch my nose. Unlike the Underworld that I had become used to, the air here was moist and stuck to my skin like glue. The only light came from behind us–the direction we'd come.

Slowly, the piercing dark began to ease, and cold, wet stone took its place. The stone surrounded us entirely, making it clear we were in some sort of cave. That also explained the uneven ground–as I looked downwards now, loose bits of rock rolled under my feet, slick with water. Stalactites hung from the ceiling in a threateningly low fashion, sharp enough for me to prick my finger on. Water was dripping down its sides, with the sound of each droplet splashing against rock muffled by the wind.