Chapter 25

I didn't wake up to the smell of a sterile hospital, a leering doctor or beeping machines. Instead, I woke to the sight of my bedroom and the faint smell of vanilla. I had to wipe the sleep from my eyes to get a proper look around me. It must have been during the day, because a faint red light from the Underworld sky illuminated my bedroom. As I'd predicted, a scented candle sat on the nightstand, as well as a glass of water. I reached for it and drank it within seconds, knowing I could have had five glasses and still remained thirsty.

"Sleeping Beauty wakes."

I jumped in my bed and turned to the other side of the room, only just noticing Persephone sitting cross-legged in a chair with a book in her lap. Judging by the bags under her eyes, she had been waiting by my side for hours. I frowned upon seeing her – I hadn't exactly worked out how I felt about seeing her, nor how I wanted to feel when seeing her.

"How long have I been asleep?" I asked, my voice coming out gravelly.

"Twelve hours. Do you want to tell me what happened last night?"

I frowned and leaned my head back against the headboard, trying to collect my thoughts. Gathering my memory was as tedious as putting together a jigsaw puzzle. It didn't help that a raging headache was taking up residence in my forehead as well. "I...was hungry last night and was going to the kitchen. I ran into Gressil, Edesia and Mera. I think they were talking about killing me when I ran into them. They chased me through the castle, and the only place I thought I might have some power over them was the forest, so that's where I led them. I called to Cerberus for help. Edesia attacked me and I used my powers to kill her. Alek then killed Gressil and...I think Cerberus may have killed Mera."

Persephone nodded as if I was confirming what she already knew. "And what about your arm? How does it feel?"

It was a testament to how tired I was that I'd forgotten that half of my arm had recently become a snack bar. I pushed away the bed sheet and rolled up my shirt sleeve, spying a thick, clean white bandage wrapped around my upper arm. Surprised by how normal my arm felt, I started to unwrap it. When the bandages fell away, the only indication that my arm had ever been injured was the dried blood that lay in its wake.

I may have healing powers, but even I knew twelve hours wasn't enough for me to self-heal a wound as serious as the one Edesia had given me. Alek had no doubt taken me straight to Persephone, so that she could heal my arm for me. I snuck a glance upwards. Persephone's expectant expression confirmed my suspicions.

"I didn't need you to heal me," I said sternly.

She scoffed, closing her book and placing it on my nightstand. "You're angry at me for helping you?"

"Yes!"

"Well, I couldn't just let you die from blood loss, could I?" she retorted, her eyes narrowing in on me.

"But you could let my friend be killed by your husband?"

She pursed her lips as she considered for a moment. "I had no idea Hades was going to do that. I spoke to him about it afterwards."

I laughed bitterly. "Yes, I'm sure talking about it really helped Hades reflect upon his actions."

She sighed and moved from her chair to perch on the side of the bed. "I don't approve, but you know now better than most that there are forces at play in the Underworld that mean he has to enforce certain rules."

I frowned as I pondered what she was saying. "You mean the Three Sisters of Fate, right?"

The knowing glint in her eyes gave me my answer.

I opened my mouth to push her for more details and to understand exactly what she meant by 'certain rules', but a muffled shout coming from the hallway caught my attention. It wasn't a voice that I recognised and so I looked at Persephone, but she appeared unsurprised at the noise and dragged a hand down her tired face.