Chapter 16

The only thing which could have worsened Hades' gloomy announcement was the subsequent howling wind, which was so strong it caused the glass windows to shake. For once, I wasn't the only one feeling anxious. Silence descended upon the room again as people listened to the gusty wind pick up, turning to each other with alarm in their eyes. I knew this was the perfect opportunity to escape. There weren't any speeches to follow and I didn't need to stick around any longer than I already had.

I murmured a quick goodbye to Plutus and then left the room, noticing that some of the others weren't so keen to stick around either. Not when we'd been given an overview of the first task and each city would want to discuss it amongst themselves in private. 

The howling wind continued to follow me down each corridor, somehow managing to find its way under closed doors or through small gaps in the windowpanes. Its presence was making me jumpy, and I didn't want to consider how dangerous it would be to be outside in these conditions. I thought back to the people living in Sloth City, most of them living in their decrepit, small houses that would be blown away in a wind like this, and my mood dampened.

When I got back to my bedroom, I found Cerberus snoozing in the centre of my bed, completely oblivious to my arrival. Watching his steady breaths and serene expression, I realised there was no possible way that I would get any sleep while I had adrenaline thrumming through me. I needed to calm myself down, and lately exercising had been doing a great job at that. So, I washed off my makeup, removed my dress and donned my exercise gear before heading towards the gym.

Only to find it wasn't empty.

I froze in the doorway, unsure whether I should enter or turn back around. Alek stood in a wide stance before a boxing bag, punching it with such effort that a pounding noise echoed throughout the room. He wore a loose-fitting black shirt, which already showed the first signs of sweat, with a matching black hand wraps. Somehow, he had managed to beat me here. And he'd clearly been fighting for quite some time, if his ragged breathing was anything to go by.

Our eyes connected from across the room and he straightened, his chest rising and falling.

Even though we were in a public space, I felt as if I'd walked in on a private moment, and a blush rose to my cheeks.

"Are you here to finish the job?" he asked, amused.

It took me a moment to catch on that he was referring to the fact I'd attacked him. "Ah, no," I said, stumbling over my words. "I didn't think anyone would be here. I can leave..."

He raised an eyebrow. "The gym is big enough for the two of us. I'm sure you can find some place to exercise that doesn't include you driving your knee up between my legs."

I winced but stood defiantly in the face of his challenge; he probably thought I would run hiding. That thought kicked me into gear and I headed towards the treadmill, being the place that I was least likely to embarrass myself in front of him. Besides, the treadmills were located in an area which gave me a full view of the room, so there would be no surprises if he decided to enact his revenge.

I almost considered approaching him with an apology as soon as I'd dropped my exercise gear besides the treadmill, but Alek had returned to punching the bag, and I decided I didn't want to put myself into his line of fire. My apology would have to wait. I did a few stretches before jumping onto the treadmill belt and jogging at a light pace.

I tried to count the number of steps I was taking in order to distract myself from watching Alek. Each of his movements was smooth and powerful, and when he struck out it was like watching a serpent attack their prey, both delicate and deadly. I turned my thoughts back to my steps. Five hundred and ten, five hundred and eleven, five hundred and twelve