Chapter 8

Part of the "responsibilities" of being Persephone's daughter and Hades' worst nightmare was having to welcome all of the tournament participants and city rulers to the castle. That was how I managed to find myself standing on Hades' left-hand side, my mother on his mirror image right, at the entrance of the castle the following morning. The wind softly caressed me, pushing my hair behind my shoulders. It was an ominous reminder of what was to come.

I didn't like the idea of being showcased to the new arrivals, but when the alternative was to risk breaking the oath, well...I didn't have much choice in the matter.

Hades had instructed the cities to arrive in a certain order: Greed, Sloth, Lust, Gluttony, Wrath, Envy and finally, Pride. My stomach tingled at the first and last cities. My intention to ignore any Alek-related feelings was quickly becoming an idiotic plan, and I wasn't sure I'd be able to be civil around Cleo, either.

The first carriage to arrive, pulled by a group of six horses, took an agonising long time to pull up. Black curtains hung in the windows but were pulled back far enough to provide a hint of a red leather interior.

The God of Greed, who I recalled as Plutus, was the first to step out of the carriage. I blinked as I took him in–he was pretty much a copy and paste version of Jackal, however, was thinner and had slightly hunched shoulders. He wore a pressed black suit that seemed to soak in the darkness around him. After his greetings with Hades and Persephone, he was unable to tear his eyes from me.

"So, you must be the lady who helped rid our city of the Aplista," he said with a smile, shaking my hand.

"Believe me, I didn't do much."

"Well, it's certainly no coincidence that within the small time frame that you were there, that Jackal was able to surmise their location." His tone dipped. "Although I would have appreciated it more if he'd informed me of your presence."

Jackal appeared from behind him, appearing considerably more pensive and hesitant than when I'd last seen him. "Surely you can understand that I was trying to act covertly and in the interests of the city." Turning his attention to the welcoming party, he said, "Your Highness, Your Majesty, it is an honour to meet you again..." his eyes met mine "...Serena, I would like to formally apologise for my sister's actions. I only recently learnt about the tournament and understand that your presence would have been required here whether or not you'd chosen to participate willingly, however the manner in which Cleo carried out her actions was abhorrent. I hope you understand that I had no involvement in your capture."

I cleared my throat. That was unexpected, but not completely uncharacteristic of Jackal. "Thank you for your apology," I replied. All too aware of Hades' eyes focused on me.

And behind him, Cleo looked exactly as I remembered her: short hair cut as sharp as a blade, framing a thin face and deep almond-shaped eyes. The only difference was the smug smile plastered on her face. She wore a body-hugging red dress that I knew most men would drool over. Many women would sell their souls to fill it out the way she did. I hated that.

After Jackal's apology, everyone's attention turned to Cleo. For the first time since I'd met her, she looked slightly uneasy in Hades' presence. She played with the material of her dress by her sides. "My brother wants me to apologise, but I don't regret what I did. If I hadn't handed you over, someone else would've. At least this way I got the reward."

Silence.

Then, Hades burst out in laughter, slicing the tension in half. "Ah, Cleo. You will certainly be one to watch this tournament. I look forward to whatever entertainment you shall provide."

I narrowed my eyes at the smirk gracing Cleo's lips.

She nodded in return and the three of them were escorted inside to their rooms.