Chapter 21

"Hello, Serena," said the lady with the long red hair, her hands folded neatly in front of her lap.

We stood in the desolate clearing of The Underworld once again, the lacklustre landscape now a familiar sight. Dressed in a lively and deep emerald gown that complemented her hair colour, she was a stark oxymoron from our lacklustre surroundings. The skirt had so much fabric it floated out in a wide arc around her body, and her bodice hugged her snuggly. Her hair was pulled away from her face and floated down her back in soft waves.

It was odd to see such opulence in an endless desert.

"I'm glad you're here."

"Are you going to tell me who you are this time?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest. "I've dreamed of you more times than I can count, but you still haven't told me your name."

She shook her head slowly. "Not today."

I glared at her. "Then why should I even stay in this dream if you can't tell me that one thing? I should wake myself up right now–"

I closed my eyes and started to retreat into the recesses of my mind and focus on reality. Two seconds ago, I'd been on the back of Alek's horse...

Shoot. I opened my eyes widely, still in my dream. I was on the back of a complete stranger's horse, sleeping. I was completely vulnerable – and even though Alek had helped me escape, there was no doubting his intentions were mixed and confusing.

"Don't go," the woman exclaimed, holding a hand in front of me like one might try to calm a horse. "You're not in any trouble."

There was something about how confidently she promised I was safe that made my panic subside. Still, I looked at her suspiciously, wondering how she could possibly know in the first place. Her eyes, while beholding a swirl of darkness, held something that calmed me. There was a certain tenderness there.

"You're on the back of Alek's horse," she stated, which made my stomach churn. She tilted her head and stared off into the distance, her eyes vacant. "He just noticed that you've fallen asleep and has tightened your arms around him–"

"–That son of a–"

"–because you almost fell off," she finished, her lips tugged into a soft smile. She clearly enjoyed my frustration. Her eyes rounded, and her mouth popped open into a surprised 'o'. My entire body froze.

"What?" I asked, horrified. Had the hellhounds or guards caught up to us? Was someone attacking? A million scenarios rushed through my head, each one scarier than the last.

She broke out into a laugh. "You snore. Loudly."

My jaw dropped, although I couldn't help but be slightly relieved. "I do not!"

Her smile turned into a huge grin, her eyes crinkling. "Says every guilty snorer. Ever."

I made a choking noise. "Okay, so, how do you even know this information when you're standing right in front of me? And how do you know Alek's name?" I questioned, crossing my arms in the hopes of looking more intimidating. 

"You're standing right in front of me," she replied cheekily, chin raised, "yet you're also sitting on a horse. How would you explain that?"

I bit my lip, staying silent. She had me there.

Her glazed eyes returned to normal, and she shrugged. "I see through the eyes of living creatures in the Underworld, I don't need my own to see."