Chapter 5

In spite of all the surprises that had been thrown my way, the running and hiding and soul-shattering revelations, it was this surprise that was my undoing. I heard my own laughter as if from far away.

"Serena," said a voice, knocking me out of my stupor. Persephone. Somehow, I'd completely missed her rising from her throne. She now stood before me; her brows furrowed. "Are you okay?"

Persephone raised a hand to reach towards me. I flinched and took a step away.

"You'll kill me if I refuse to participate?" I asked, directing my accusation at Hades.

"Yes," he said simply, utterly unperturbed.

"No!" Persephone responded, spinning to shoot him a glare. She turned back around to me, softening her expression. "What he means is, the tournament can only commence when every demigod of the Underworld is willing to take part."

I took a deep breath, the cogs in my head beginning to work again. "Meaning you can't stop the weather from worsening until every demigod agrees to participate in this tournament..." she levelled her gaze at me, "...or when every demigod who refuses to participate is dead."

Persephone slowly nodded, watching my reaction carefully. I hid my shaking hands behind my back.

"What happens in this tournament?" I asked.

"The tournament involves a series of trials, focused on your physical and mental strength, as well as the strength of your powers," Hades said. "There are three in total."

"Do I need to complete all three?" I pushed, hardly hearing my own voice.

The only answer I received was Persephone's small nod.

Hades cleared his throat. "Surely now you can understand my frustration," he ground out. "I've wasted the last few weeks tracking you down, putting my own people at risk due to your own selfish recklessness. By running from the Crown Guard, you have potentially, and unknowingly, set into action a train of events which could kill hundreds–if not thousands–of people."

At that moment, footsteps sounded at the entrance to the Throne Room, heightening the tension as Hades glared at me. It was one of the servants, appearing somewhat distressed. Persephone's gaze flashed in recognition.

"Ah, Zoe, I forgot to meet with you," she said. "Let me provide you with some assistance."

Despite what she'd said, Persephone hesitated before standing, her eyes flickering between Hades and me. Finally, they settled back on her partner. "Go easy on her, okay?"

Hades didn't respond. He didn't even look away from me.

As if understanding that was the best response she was going to get, Persephone sighed and started in the direction of the servant, shooting a longing glance my way.

"I'll be right back," she told me.

I wanted to scream at her that she shouldn't be leaving the room. If she was a proper mother, she wouldn't leave me alone in the presence of the most notorious figure known to mankind. And if she was a proper mother, she wouldn't even be with him in the first place.

When she was gone, silence filled the room. The quiet was so loud that I thought Hades might be able to hear the sound of my blood roaring in my ears. What Hades had said, about me unwittingly setting in motion the death of so many people, struck a chord in me. The thought of innocents caught in torrential weather–of Leo or Kadyn suffering through poisonous rain or the wind tearing them to shreds–made me sick.

"I didn't know," I whispered, looking downcast. "I didn't know my running was threatening this world. If you had of explained to me, I–"

"–You think you would have played the hero?" Hades cut in, laughing. "You are incapable of playing the hero."