Chapter 12

"Alek?"

I peered again into the darkness, able to see more clearly than before. Now, I could make out the finer details of the bookshelves on the upper levels. Something moved in the corner of my vision and I gasped. Perched on one of the balconies, leaning against the corner column for support, was a man. Concealed half in darkness, I could only make out their tight grip on a familiar bow. Sitting in the casual manner that they were, they made balancing on a balcony look easy. Suddenly they stood and took one step off the banister, freefalling a storey and landing in a crouch. Broad shoulders and muscle stretched beneath his memorable yet simple black shirt. When he rose, the candlelight flooded his features. His hair was shorter than before, and his face was clean-shaven. Perhaps this was due to the fact though that he'd no longer been on the run. His shorter hair brought more definition to his strong jawline and full eyebrows.

The second our eyes met, Alek froze. Memories of our time together rushed back to me. I remembered how fierce and invincible he'd been when we were escaping from the Crown Guard. I remembered how gentle and kind he'd been when he tended to my broken ankle. I also remembered how soft and compassionate he had been when I'd poured my heart out to him on the side of the volcano.

I was almost certain similar memories were calling out to him as well. He looked at me intently, as though he was analysing my features so as to file them away in his memory. Dimly, I remembered the black dress I wore was probably a big change from the sight that he was used to seeing. My red hair was on full display, and his lips parted ever so slightly as he took in its colour.

Somehow, though, I doubted what I wore changed much of his reaction at all. When I'd first met him, I'd told myself that Alek had only cared for me due to a fearless sense of responsibility. But the last time I'd seen him, he'd been hell-bent on his declaration that he would get us to the North Gate, and I'd suspected he must have felt more for me than responsibility. I wasn't sure why he hadn't stayed at Jackal's hotel that night when I'd returned, but the look of awe on his face did well in convincing me that perhaps he'd nevertheless felt something more between us than friendship.

And I wasn't exactly sure what to do with that information.

Luckily, I didn't have to think about it too much.

Alek swallowed, the movement affecting the shadows on his neck, as he forcibly gained control of himself. "Sorry to interrupt, I was just trying to enjoy a little late-night reading," he said lightly, though I thought I could detect bitterness hiding within his tone.

Heat rose onto my cheeks. I stammered for an explanation, or for something to say, but I wasn't sure I had the logical willpower to keep up with the conversation. I certainly hadn't expected to see Alek again, especially after I'd been one minute away from becoming naked. That being said, I didn't owe him an explanation at all.

"I have to say I'm a little disappointed with your choice, Princess, especially considering the God of Lust sits proudly a few rooms across," he said, a grin creeping over his face. "Now that would have been scandalous."

"Alek," Kadyn called out, stepping to my side. His fists were clenched by his sides.

"Ah, nice of you to finally join us. You do realise, Kevin, that if I was a threat, I would have been able to kill your lover by now?"

I blanched at the idea of being called Kadyn's lover. I think Kadyn would have had a similar reaction, but he seemed more offended by the name in which he'd been addressed.

"My name is Kadyn," Kadyn replied, his voice not as smooth as Alek's. "I saved your life once, you know. Don't make me regret it."

Alek tilted his head, amused. "And I very well could have fired my arrow into your hand, or worse." His dark eyes shone brightly. "Don't make me regret it."