Chapter 24

I had thought there were few things that could scare me anymore. I'd spent enough time in the Underworld to become well acquainted with the certainty of death, but now that it was staring me in the face, I was more terrified than ever. I longed for my life back on Earth, and this desire fuelled my adrenaline. Hell, I deserved my life on Earth. My family and friends certainly deserved to see me again. My blood pumped wildly in my chest, with my heart competing in its own wild race.

One set of hands gripped my upper arms, and I could feel the others moving in to surround me. I was a lamb being cornered by three, very hungry, very desperate, lions.

I knew that if I was going to have any chance of an escape, then now was the moment to fight.

Rather than try to pull away, I stepped closer to my assailant's body to surprise them and used our close proximity to my benefit by raising my free elbow and swinging it in the direction of their face. Luckily, it was not dark enough that I was unable to guess their height and my elbow landed in exactly the place I wanted it to – their chin. A crack echoed through the air, breaking through the sound of scuffling, and caused the others to hesitate.

My elbow hurt like a bitch when it made contact, but I ignored the pain and used my split second of surprise to sprint back down the hallway, from the direction I'd come. Two of my assailants snapped at the third for letting me go, then they were chasing after me. Various swear words popped into my mind. I was running blindly in the dark, barely stopping myself from running into a wall, while the demigod and demigoddesses of Gluttony could probably see me with scotopic vision.

If there was ever a moment for me to trip and fall, now was not it.

Laboured breathing sounded behind me, letting me know that my attackers were matching my pace, and I knew I had to get somewhere with light so that I could out-run them. I needed to get somewhere I had an advantage.

I quickened my pace when I realised something startling: I did have a room that would give me an advantage. Right now, the Gluttony contestants were chasing me according to their own rules, but they would surely hesitate if they saw the encompassing greenery that slumbered beneath the castle. Greenery that I could wield.

Hoping that all of my training would pay off, I turned a corner right as a warm set of fingers brushed my back, stroking my fear. I may not have regularly seen any of them in the gym, but I was sure their desire for blood propelled them faster than any muscles could.

Someone behind me hissed as I lunged out of their grasp and they had to abruptly follow me down the next corridor. I could imagine their sharp teeth gnashing together as they raced for me. My entire body thrummed with energy at the thought of their teeth meeting my skin. I knew that, given the chance, they would eagerly tear me to shreds. They would probably parade my dead body around for all of the contestants to see to try to enforce their own rank and superiority.

I was almost at the set of stairs leading to the forest when an idea popped up in my head: I might not be alone. If Persephone was able to jump in the minds of creatures in the Underworld, then perhaps I could do the same! All I had to do was get Cerberus' attention and hope for the best that he would help tear these guys to shreds. I raced down the stairs, taking them three at a time, while feeling the others racing close behind me. One of them was yelling taunts at me and telling me to stop, but each taunt spurred me on faster.

I wrenched the door open and flung myself outside. I tried to slam the door shut again but it knocked against Gresil's shoulder and caused him to swear. The girls – whose names suddenly came to mind, being Edesia and Mera - were behind him in two seconds, shoving him forwards.

I didn't waste any more time before breaking into the tree line, where I hoped I could lose them in the darkness.

*****