Chapter 7

I looked around, trying to recognise where I was. I was lying on a stone floor in my dirtied and cut-up hospital gown, although I had no recollection of how I'd even gotten here. There were no windows in the square room, like a prison cell. A glossy black double door loomed in front of me, stretching to the tall ceiling.

My head began to throb, and I clutched it with both hands, feeling my panic rise. 

"Hello?" I yelled out, climbing to my feet as my vision spun. My voice bounced off the walls and floor, taunting me. I stumbled over to the door and pulled on the golden handle, but it wouldn't budge. "Hello?"

No reply. I pressed my ear against the door and strained to hear something – anything.

Nothing. Shit. A few more bad words came to mind.

"Let me out!" I yelled, pulling at the handle and then pummelling my fists against the door.

The noise from my banging ricocheted around the room, reinforcing how very alone and trapped I was.

I gritted my teeth and banged the door even louder. "Let me out! Right now! Right now!" I backed up from the door and ran towards it, hoping the extra build-up might bust it open.

I hit it with a loud bang and, without actually expecting it to open, it did. It swung outwards so quickly I fell with it, ungracefully tumbling onto all fours.

My face came to a stop an inch away from a pair of bare feet. I grimaced at the dirt stuck between the toes and the nails that looked to be in great need of a trim. I slowly trailed my gaze upwards, past a flowy black dress.

A woman stared down at me with eyes so dark there seemed to be no difference between her irises and pupils. Her equally dark hair was cut short but curled around her chubby cheeks. A small smile flittered across her lips.

"I opened the door, by the way. However, your efforts are noted," she said.

I scooted backwards and climbed to my feet, surprised. I'd been expecting someone I knew – at the very least, someone wearing shoes – so I was at a loss for who this person was standing in front of me.

"Who are you? And where am I?"

The woman appeared unfazed by my accusatory tone. Rather, she looked bored by the entire situation. She clicked her fingers and a girl emerged from behind her. The girl headed towards me; a deep blue sheet strewn across her arms. I took a step back defensively.

"There's no need to be scared," the woman drawled. I could hear the impatience underscoring her tone. "This cloak is merely something to cover yourself up with. It won't bite."

The girl, who I assumed was a servant based on how she was being treated, held out the fabric hesitantly. Upon close inspection, I could see her hands trembling. But with what? Fear of me? Fear of the fabric? Honestly, nothing was beyond possibility. Her brown eyes darted around the room, unable to look at me directly.

I took the cloak from her and she scuttled back to her post behind the woman. I wrapped the cloak around myself, noting the soft feel of the silk that slipped through my touch. All the while, I kept my gaze on the woman, too scared to look away. Her black eyes penetrated into mine.

The woman cleared her throat, drawing my attention. "My name is Aergia. Welcome to the Underworld."

I almost scoffed, but the noise got caught in my throat and I sounded much more like a strangled cat. I looked between Aergia and the servant, half expecting one of them to crack a smile. My entire mind seemed to fog over as I watched them, my thoughts becoming sluggish. Combining my raging headache with the thoughts that ran wild in my mind, I convinced myself that I'd imagined it all.