Chapter 13

"Please don't hurt me," I squeaked, slamming my eyes shut. The cold, steel blade sent shivers across my skin. I froze, very aware of how one small movement could easily form a cut. The knife hovered at the back of my neck, but didn't dig in.

"Well, well, looks like mother dearest sent another messenger for me," a high-pitched voice called out, from further down the hall. "Who are you this time?"

The knife at neck point didn't move. In fact, its presence was terrifyingly steady. My mouth dried out. My legs trembled so much that I was involuntarily pushing myself closer to the knife.

"Well?" the female voice called, increasingly irritated.

I opened my mouth. "I–I–"

"–Can't speak?" a male deadpanned from behind, his voice low with a lilt of sarcasm. "Why don't you give it a try?"

I peeked my eyes open to see a woman approaching in my peripheral vision. Her chin and nose protruded sharply, and she pursed her lips. She held herself tall, her shoulders broad and upright. To top off her look, she wore a body hugging yet plain black dress, which only added to her look of harshness.

Her frustrated expression transformed into one of curiosity; and she glanced at me up and down.

"Wait a minute," she cut in, holding up a hand. "Alek, let her go."

For a moment I didn't think he was going to obey, but then I felt the weight at my neck dissipate. I clutched my throat and sucked in a huge intake of breath, spinning around to face my attacker.

My gaze trailed over scuffed, dirtied boots, torn black jeans and a slim-fitting black t-shirt. Most obviously, a wooden crossbow peeked out from behind broad shoulders. Tousled jet-black hair fell across equally dark eyes. I'd seen black irises on Raven and even darker ones in Aergia, but this man's eyes were steely and his gaze unwavering. One look at them told me he wouldn't hesitate to use the knife.

All the while, his eyes roamed me as if I were the threat. He locked my gaze and I held my breath.

"Who are you?" the woman repeated, her patience once again wearing thin. "And why are you wearing my family's cloak?"

"I–wait, your cloak?" I stammered, face blushing. "I didn't know this was yours."

She crossed her arms, raising a pointed brow. "Of course it's my cloak. Everyone knows the children of Aergia grew up wearing those cloaks. It's got my mother's crest embedded on its seam." She pointed at the gold stitching, which I hadn't realised was sewn in a way that showcased repetitive golden waves.

For the first time in days, I felt a tendril of hope. "So, you're Artemis, then?"

"I am, which makes you who?"

"Serena," I stated quickly. "But I'm not a messenger, I've actually been looking for you. I thought you might be able to help me."

Her eyebrows shot up. "Oh really? That's awfully brash of you." Artemis narrowed her gaze. My face flushed a furious red. Oh God, I should never have come here, I thought.

"Artemis," Alek cut in, giving her a pointed look. "I have business elsewhere–"

"–I know, I know," she replied, sighing dramatically and removing her analytical gaze from me. "I'll pay you now. Just a moment."

Artemis, unbothered by the clear look of danger from this Alek guy, disappeared into the study, leaving us alone. I peeked a look at Alek without trying to be too noticeable. He wasn't looking at me, but I knew he could feel my gaze by the clenching of his jaw and fisted palms. His eyes followed Artemis as she returned, a black pouch clutched in one of her hands.