Chapter 28

The next morning Alek knocked on my door in the early hours, amusement glittering in his eyes. I'd opened the door with ruffled hair, bleary eyes, an oversized shirt and total amnesia. I'd forgotten about our early morning training session, and it seemed that Hades' ball was no excuse for Alek's rigorous training program. Luckily, he had two coffees in hand and I gratefully accepted one as we took off for the gym.

My stomach curled into itself as Alek brushed his hand along the back of mine, not quite asking to hold mine but purely reminding me of last night. I was too weak to pull my hand away and instead let myself enjoy his soft touch. I knew he would toughen into the warrior that he was as soon as we reached the gym. In fifteen minutes, he would have me sweating and gasping for air – not the good kind – and while I enjoyed being treated as his equal in the gym, I soaked in this small moment of peace.

I knew without a doubt that Alek had changed whatever program he'd originally had for me today to self-defence. He taught me how to escape from wrist grabs, choke holds and from being pinned to the floor. Every move brought us closer and closer together. I would have laughed at his obviousness had he not appeared so serious during our session. The second trial was slowly sneaking up on us, and Alek was in intense instructor-mode.

After training, Alek was explaining how I could improve my defensive stance as we entered the Dining Hall, where breakfast was now in full force. I beelined for the toast, coffee and water section before I took a seat at the end of the table. Alek followed me, sitting beside me so that our thighs were touching. A blush formed on my face that wasn't from the exertion of the workout.

"Alek, can I talk to you for a moment?" asked a familiar voice. Its owner spoke with the volume of someone who was being cautious, as if they thought Alek might yell at them.

I glanced up and found Cleo standing before us. For once, she appeared as if she hadn't gotten a good night's sleep. She was normally the picture of perfection but this morning had a frantic look to her eyes. She stood tall, but this was more so due to the tension in her body than confidence.

Alek seemed to have realised before I did that it was Cleo, because he didn't need to look up to confirm who it was. I glanced between them, knowing this was an argument they had to have on their own. I may not have liked Cleo, but she'd supposedly been Alek's friend for quite some time and had both drugged his food and lied to him.

Alek's jaw clenched, as did his grip on his fork. "I have nothing to say to you, Cleo. I got all the information I needed last night."

Cleo's expression turned downcast. Alek didn't even spare her a glance, and I could tell how frustrated she was to have none of his attention. For a moment I thought she might snap back at him, but she faltered and reeled herself back in at the last moment. Then, because she wouldn't dare take on Alek, she shot me a glare instead and hurried off. I would have laughed if seeing her didn't already make me feel oddly sad.

Right at that moment, Jackal entered the room and Cleo stormed past him, neither of them saying a word to each other. However, I could tell from Jackal's clenched fist and strained expression that her presence similarly frustrated him. If I had to guess, Jackal had only last night found out about how Cleo had drugged Alek's food. However, I didn't want Jackal to consider my watching gaze as an invitation to come over, so I directed my attention back to Alek and finished off my coffee.

"That was pleasant," I quipped. "I'm still surprised she would poison your food."

Alek grunted in agreement. "Cleo is full of surprises. But she only poisoned my food so that she would be able to harm you. Cleo will act rashly if it means she can get any kind of benefit."

Right at that moment, Nox, Thanos and Keros walked past us on their way out of the room. Somehow, Thanos looked bigger and more intimidating than ever before, as if he'd grown overnight. Keros kept his gaze downward as he passed us, but Nox made a show of glaring at us. It took all of my effort not to shrink back into my seat.