Chapter 34

I'd hoped sneaking away from Cleo would help clear my mind. Give me some clarity or make me realise I was just kidding myself. But I couldn't even concentrate long enough to string together exactly what Cleo was suggesting.

A sister.

A sister who I could assume was dead.

One of the worst things was, I knew Cleo only had her own interests at heart. I didn't know her; so I knew she couldn't be trusted. I shouldn't be giving weight to any of her statements until they came from Alek's mouth. And I would.

I crossed my arms over my chest and stretched out my legs on the tiles beneath me, feeling exhausted despite spending the past couple of hours sleeping.

I waited.

I knew Alek wouldn't be gone for much longer, so I didn't mind staying hidden away. It was much better than hearing more information – perhaps none of it true – come out of Cleo's mouth.

I heard the front door open and Alek's distinct voice talk to Cleo. Her laugh echoed underneath the gap in the bathroom door, ricocheting against the walls and taunting me. I stayed silent until I heard Cleo saying she'd be back in a little while. No doubt she was smiling as she left, well aware of the fact she'd just set off a ticking time bomb and thrown it into my hands. I listened to Alek's footsteps as he paced around the kitchen. The sound of a chair being pulled from a table.

I reached for the bathroom door slowly and then paused, my hand frozen on the knob.

What if Cleo was telling the truth?

The seeds of doubt that she'd planted were growing, wrapping their vines around my insides and tightening, making it difficult to breathe. I'd spent the past half hour denying her claim, but now that Alek was back and I had the opportunity to ask him, it seemed that much more daunting.

I wasn't a naïve child anymore. I knew people lied. I knew Alek and I didn't have the best friendship. Since we met each other, we'd had no time to do anything but run away from our enemies.

Before I could delve deeper into my doubts, I straightened and took a deep breath, stepping out into the hallway. Alek was eating his meal over the kitchen counter, his back to me. But the second I entered; he knew I was there. His fork clattered to his plate and suddenly he was standing in front of me, engulfing me in a hug. His warmth surrounded me and in a moment of vulnerability his head dipped to my shoulder so that I felt his breath run along my skin. My body ached to return his hug and meld into him, but now that my defences were up...well, they weren't coming back down.

Alek sensed that something was wrong and leaned back from me, looking at me with concern.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt?"

I shook my head, wrapping my arms around myself and stepping out of his grasp. "I'm fine. I healed perfectly, even though I don't know why."

"Cleo gave you some sleeping tablets with medicinal properties," he explained. "To help speed up the regenerative process your body has."

Oh. I guess that made sense. "So, bombs huh?"

Alek shrugged and tucked his hands into his jean pockets. "Since Plutus is their father, they both have access to the majority of his resources. It's how Cleo got you medication, as well."

Interesting. "My father gives me a lot of stuff, too, but he's never handed over explosives," I joked awkwardly, my laugh ending on a high note.

Alek's eyes narrowed, searching my eyes. "Are you sure you're okay?"

I opened my mouth to lie, then closed it. I knew it was now or never to ask Alek – I couldn't keep on avoiding the topic of his sister with further small talk.