Chapter 7

The following morning, I stared in a daze at my reflection in the bathroom, letting Erica curl the remaining strands of my hair with ease. Even though I'd slept against a rock, the creamy complexion of my cheeks and bright eyes suggested it had been the best sleep I'd had in a while. When I had awoken this morning, I had taken in my lustrous surroundings and completely forgotten about the doom and gloom of the Underworld. If I hadn't known that Erica would have been stressing in my absence, I would have remained hidden in that secret forest forever.

I was already planning my return as breakfast was over.

I was about to question Erica about the forest's existence when she stated, "His Highness has ordered you to dine at breakfast with him and Her Majesty this morning."

Her words cut through my thoughts with a knife.

"What?"

"I received word from my friend who works directly with His Highness. He has ordered for you to be present at breakfast."

My lips formed a thin line. "I suppose I should be grateful he didn't ask your friend to threaten me if I refused to obey."

Erica was silent for a moment as she studied my hair, tucking a stray strand back in place. "I think His Highness believes that you would have no choice but to obey, particularly in light of your recent oath with him."

I sighed. "Does everyone in the castle know about the oath?"

Erica caught my gaze in the mirror, and her expression was soft enough that I knew the answer was in the affirmative.

"I wouldn't worry too much about people knowing though," Erica said. "No one will be allowed to report anything they've seen or heard inside the castle to any of the tournament participants. Or their families."

I straightened. "Are the families of the other demigods coming?"

"Of course. Their presence is required for the opening ceremony and main events, but unlike the competitors, they are free to come and go as they see fit."

The colour drained from my cheeks as I thought of the Gods and Goddesses of Pride, Greed, Lust, Envy, Gluttony, Wrath and Sloth all under the same roof.

"It's not something that any of us would ever look forward to," she elaborated. "I don't know anyone who has seen all rulers of the seven cities in one room during their lifetime." She seemed to hold in a shiver.

"Do the rulers not get along?" I enquired.

Erica hesitated, and took a step back from me to assess my finished hairstyle. "The rulers each have their differences with each other. There have been many versions of war in the past few centuries, but His Highness has seen to it that most of these quarrels are eliminated before they can be given enough attention."

My eyebrows furrowed together as I remembered Alek discussing the impact Wrath City had wrecked on Pride City, and in turn, the events that led to his sister, Rayner's, death. I didn't know much about the dissonance between the two cities, but I knew they were at odds enough for the Goddess of Wrath, Lyssa, to taunt her opponent by sending demons their way. Alek had been training Rayner to defend herself but hadn't expected Rayner to follow him to the frontlines of that war. Rayner had fallen when five demons had attacked them, and Alek hadn't had time to save her.

God, I didn't want to imagine how the tension between the cities would play out when each demigod was vying for a chance at winning the Crown.

Erica must have noticed the sorrow in my eyes, because she clamped her hands down on my shoulders and smiled. "You might not feel it, but you will look the role of a Princess when you have breakfast this morning. If you haven't already figured it out, appearances are everything in the Underworld."