Chapter 44: The Unexpected

*** CHAPTER 44 ***

Something bad has happened!

And something even worse is in its wake!

He can feel it already. The past half-an-hour has been torturous. Seeing the way his brother keeps on fidgeting, a dread shrouds Laksh's heart. He has been sitting beside Sanskaar all this while, but not even for once has his brother met his eyes. He has been awfully silent about the whole ordeal. It is as if he is avoiding him on purpose, trying his best to avert his questioning eyes.

He has been acting weird ever since he has come out of Dadi Ji's room. He has been his brother's confidant ever since they have known each other but today he feels as if he is sitting beside a stranger. Laksh can swear that the brief talk he had with Dadi Ji has been something unexpected, something serious that has made Sanskaar act this way. He sighs as he can feel his head reeling thinking of a plausible reason. The suffocating silence urges him to knock some sense into his brother, to ask him what is wrong.

"This is a good match. The couple will lead a happy and peaceful life."

Laksh is pulled out of his thoughts on hearing Purohit Ji's voice and he can almost hear Sanskaar suck in a deep breath. All he wants to do right now is to punch his brother for acting this irrationally. Why is he marrying Anshika when he loves Swara more than anything else in this world? That, too, in a week? What has made him take such a decision in the first place? Is there something no one else knows about? So many what and why... so many questions but he has answer to none.

Narmada: So, when do we have an auspicious occasion for the marriage and other rituals, Purohit Ji?

Nodding his head, Purohit Ji goes silence for a while as he reads both the patrikas again. Clearing his throat, he looks up and smiles as everyone looks at him with anticipating eyes.

Purohit Ji: The day after tomorrow is really auspicious for engagement and for beginning of the other rituals.

Narmada: And marriage?

Purohit Ji: For marriage, the fifth day from today is an auspicious one. We have quite a number of marriages that day in this village and the adjoining ones. Narmada Devi, it is a really good day for your grandson to get married.

Narmada smiles nodding her head and Laksh can almost feel himself fainting with the new piece of information. Glancing around, he tries to find the familiar face of his wife and on finding her nowhere around, he can already make a wild guess where she might be. She must have gone to Swara. He gulps imagining the situation when he breaks the news to both of them. His wife can be really scary at times, and when it comes to her best friends, the people she loves... Laksh shudders even thinking about it.

His wild thoughts have been running in all possible directions when his mobile dings with a notification and Laksh almost jumps at his place. Fetching his mobile phone out of his pocket, he clicks on the screen to reveal a message he has just received.

'I want your lazy, stupid self and your pea-sized brain brother right now in Swara's room. Like... RIGHT NOW! He kissed her and now he has the audacity to marry someone else!'

He did what!!??

Panic-stricken, Laksh can almost imagine the livid face of his wife glaring right at him. With his eyes as wide as saucers, he stares at his brother who is now being engulfed in numerous hugs and is getting congratulated for the upcoming marriage. The first ones to congratulate him are Mr. and Mrs. Dutta, Anshika's parents, followed by Ishika, her sister, and finally by Tarun, Anshika's best friend. Sweat droplets shine on Laksh's forehead and he gulps rather loudly thinking how to avoid the catastrophe in its wake. He must get his brother out of here before his wife comes rushing back to get a hold of them.