Chapter 16 : I believe you!

*** CHAPTER 16 ***

A light timid knock at the door breaks Vidhaan’s concentration and he lifts his head up to tear his gaze away from the file he has been reviewing… or let’s say has been trying to do so. This whole deal and business ordeals have never been his things. He loves his profession. Being a teacher rendered him peace… a sense of self-satisfaction that he hasn’t been able to find anywhere else. He wants those innocent gazes and carefree giggles back in his life. Oh, how he misses his old life! Because that’s what makes him… him!

Another hesitant but urgent knock makes him wonder who it can be. Is that Swara? But why would she knock at the door of her own room especially when it’s unlocked and she has gone downstairs just a few minutes ago. Then, maybe Ragini or Laksh! Sighing and shrugging his shoulders, Vidhaan gets up from his bed and after few quick strides holds the knob of the door to pull it open.

And the moment he opens the door, he regrets it. His heart wrenches and a shudder flows down his body for the person standing in front of him is the person he is supposed to love the most, but lamentably is the person he has come to hate the most. Wait… Does he even hate her? A humorless laugh tugs at his throat as he realizes how unfortunate he is. Which child in this world hates his own mother?! He hated her when he didn’t know who she was and when she’s in front of him maybe he detests her even more. 

Vidhaan: I guess I made it clear that I don’t want to talk about anything!

Annapurna: I’m… I’m not here to ask for forgiveness. I know it’s too much to ask for…

Vidhaan: Please leave! I don’t want Swara to hear anything you’re going to say.

Annapurna: Please! Just listen to me once.

Vidhaan: (slowly yet sternly) And what am I supposed to listen? That how you guys found me unwanted at first and then when my brother is no more, you have come to realize that you have one more son! What if I wasn’t your son? What if I was just the simple stranger Vidhaan? Would you have still preferred standing here?

Annapurna: I know I have done a grave mistake and I…

Vidhaan closes his eyes as tears threaten to well up but he can’t let that happen. Not in front of her. He has to stand strong and this time not for anyone else but for himself. He has always yearned for a father’s protective shadow and a mother’s loving embrace but now that they are in front of him, he realizes that he is not strong enough to ask them for that. He wants to. He really does. Deep within he is still that small child who just wants to run into his mother’s embrace and let her love him with all her heart. But something strong… very… very strong has been restraining him from doing so and he needs help to fight that. No matter how hard it’s for him to accept that but he needs help.

Vidhaan: Please, don’t make it harder for me than it already is. I’m here just for Swara. The moment she’ll remember everything I’ll be gone.

And a spasm of panic hits Annapurna as his words register themselves in her brain slowly. He will leave. She will lose her son? Again!

Annapurna: N-No! You can’t… can’t leave.

Vidhaan: I don’t belong here! This life is not for me.

Annapurna: But this… everything is yours. Please, you’re not unwanted.

Vidhaan chuckles but humor is not even the last thing Annapurna finds in there. He’s hurt. He really is and the only reason for his misery is that she hasn’t been strong enough… strong enough to protect her own son and no amount of forgiveness will relieve her from the guilt.