Chapter 50: The Dream!

*** CHAPTER 50 ***

Nothing has ever warmed his heart as much as this moment. Even standing in the darkest corner of the cold, bone-chilling forest can in no way make his heart any less happy at this moment. The instant Sanskaar opens his eyes to find himself in the same forest where he met his brother the last time, he is engulfed in a bear-like, affectionate hug.

"Bhai?" He whispers and for the very first time, he hears his brother laugh... not just a smile, or a chuckle, but a carefree, hearty, infectious laugh; so much so that even Sanskaar cannot help but smile himself.

Sanskaar: You seem very happy today.

Shlok: Of course, I am! Finally, the two knuckleheads closest to my heart have agreed to listen to their own hearts. I have never been so happy.

Sanskaar: (smiles) Thank you so much, bhai.

Shlok: (breaks the hug and raises an eyebrow) What for? For calling you a knucklehead?

Sanskaar: (smiles shaking his head) For making me realize where my happiness lies.

Shlok: I could not have it any better, Sanskaar. You guys are the perfect match, very much like a puzzle. No other piece, no matter what will be able to fit in the way both of you do. Apparently, this is what destiny had in store for all of us.

Sanskaar nods his head in a daze but soon enough, the realization hits him hard and he takes a deep breath looking at his brother. Destiny has not been playing fair. His brother does not deserve this fate. He can see the excitement, the life blubbering in his brother's eyes, very much contrasting to the swirling, gnawing emotions in his own. For fate to play in his favor, it is not fair to have his brother face such a plight. His heart breaks every time he looks at him.

Shlok: (sighs) Do not look at me like that, Sanskaar.

Sanskaar: Like what?

Shlok: Like you feel sorry for me.

Sanskaar: It is I who I feel sorry for, bhai. I get to meet my brother but after he is... gone. Can we be any less unfortunate? And I do not even know how long we have left together. It is like...

"A month." Shlok's whisper cuts his speech short. Just two words. That is all it takes and Sanskaar's entire being goes numb. Scrunching his eyebrows, he looks at his brother opening his mouth to speak something but closing it the next instant unable to find his voice.

Sanskaar: I-I do not understand, bhai. What do you mean?

Shlok: (sighs) Sanskaar, before I tell you what I am about to do, I need you to promise me something.

Sanskaar: Promise?

Sanskaar's heart thumps crazily dreading something ominous. Something that tugs down there at his heart telling him that whatever is about to follow holds the power to change the course of events and eventually all of their lives. He gulps nervously as his brother's countenance becomes serious, a grim look swirling in his eyes. Shlok holds Sanskaar's hands, pressing them tightly as if giving him some of his own strength.

Shlok: Promise me, Sanskaar, that you will not do anything rash or anything that might endanger your life, just so that you can help me. Promise me that you will not do anything that you do not need to.

Sanskaar: (stutters) D-Do you really have to scare me like that?

Shlok: (shakes his head in denial) I am not scaring you, my dear brother. I just want you to promise me this. Will you?