Chapter 45: The Decision

*** CHAPTER 45 ***

Life has never been fair and Sanskaar has always learned it the hard way. Ever since the day he is born, he has been fighting for what he rightfully deserves. Be it the longing for the love of his parents, or be it the yearning for the little moments of happiness, he has faced a lifelong fight to finally be able to understand what it feels like, and he cherishes this feeling with all his heart. However, the moment he knocks at his grandmother's door and it is opened seconds later, he realizes that the fight is not over yet.

The minute he enters the room, his eyes meet Anshika's who has been cowering in the farthest corner of the room. He has not been expecting her presence at all. His heart shudders with an unsettling fear when he notices the two women standing in the room beside his grandmother. Cladded in all white, they support an unfriendly demeanor. None of them smile or acknowledge his presence in the room, let alone greet him. Frowning a little, Sanskaar focuses his entire attention on his grandmother.

Sanskaar: Dadi, you asked for me? What is it that you wanted to talk about?

Narmada: Anshika's parents will be here soon. I just wanted to make sure that you are well-prepared to meet them. We have a reputation, a name to uphold, Sanskaar, and I absolutely cannot have anyone tarnish the Maheshwari's name and honor. And when I say anyone, I mean anyone.

Sanskaar: (nods his head) Yes, Dadi. I understand.

Narmada: Talking is not one of my fortes, Sanskaar. So, let me keep it short. Words travel fast enough. You must be wary of your actions and must be responsible for them. Once the rituals begin, you cannot back out from this marriage, if that is what you are planning to do.

The warning bells start ringing inside Sanskaar's head instantly and he gulps nervously. Is she suspecting anything? For sure, she would not have seen his secret rendezvous early in the morning. Has she?

Sanskaar: Dadi, I do not understand!

Narmada: Oh yes, you do! You very well do! Do you not think that you are awfully close to Swara when it should be Anshika instead? Or should I take it as if your heart is wavering?

The moment he hears this, something bursts inside of him. Sanskaar has this sudden urge to say it out loud that his heart has never wavered. Not even for once. It has always belonged to only one person and that beloved of his is Swara. But the stern looks on the faces of the three ladies right in front of him have him rooted to his place. There is much more to the picture than it seems. Glancing to his side, he looks at Anshika who has a worried expression very much like mirroring his own. She shakes her head in denial letting him know that she has no idea what it is about. Turning his face towards his grandmother he tries making a convincing reply when her words cut his speech short.

Narmada: Temptation tends to be quite evil, my dear grandson. That is why, I have called for help. They are Shyama and Barsha. Offer your greetings.

Sanskaar's eyes immediately dart toward both the ladies who have now sat up even straighter, if that is even possible. Nodding their head, they acknowledge the introduction.

Narmada: They are from the Widow's home located right outside the village.

And Sanskaar's heart drops. His entire being shivers dreading that he already knows what his grandmother is about to say next. A shiver runs down his spine and he stumbles back. He has willed to shout, to say that as long as he is with her, they cannot even dare to lay a single finger on her, but his mouth runs dry and he chokes on his own breath. The air seems suffocating and the unshed tears sting his eyes like never before. He shakes his head in negation as his grandmother opens her mouth to speak again.