Chapter 48: Towards a new beginning

*** CHAPTER 48 ***

Sanskaar's grump-o-meter hits its maximum as Laksh pushes him down, making him sit on the farthest corner of the mattress that has been laid down in their backyard garden. He sits down with a huff and folds his arms across his chest having no intention of hiding how sullen his mood is at that very moment. Throughout the engagement ceremony, he has been planning how to spend time with his lady love, but all of that comes crashing down the very moment it is suggested that the whole family should spend some time together, which ultimately leads to the decision that they all will be watching a movie in the backyard of the house, which might even be followed by some games. Do these people not feel tired? Why are they not asleep yet? He feels a tinge of sadness in his heart as he sees everyone enjoying themselves without paying any heed to his gloomy mood. And that makes him even grumpier than an angry Chaitanya whenever he is denied his favorite thing!

His heart gets elated the moment he notices Swara entering the backyard with Ragini. She will surely notice how sad he is and will definitely do something to cheer him up. His heart assures him and he nods his head to no one in particular. He waits with a bated breath as Swara's eyes scan the whole place, finally landing up on him. He sits up straight and raises his hand to pat the place next to him. Without taking note of his intention, Swara smiles at him but is immediately pulled by Ragini to sit next to her. To his utter dismay, Swara sits beside her friend without any protest, not looking back even for once. Sanskaar is left gaping at everyone as they all cheer when the movie starts playing on the projector.

The rain has finally subsided but the chilliness still lingers in the air. Sanskaar's eyes wander toward everyone as they all lay wrapped up in their blankets, their attention completely on the screen in the front. In his peripheral vision, he can even see Tarun and Anshika cuddling in the same blanket, whispering something in each other's ears. His eyes involuntarily travel towards Swara and he sighs deeply. She is supposed to be his wife in two days! Can he not even get a few moments with her? This is so not the thing he had in his mind!

Noticing that his brother has been sighing a lot more than usual, Laksh, who is sitting next to him, taps on his shoulder looking at him rather suspiciously.

Laksh: What is wrong, bhai?

Everything! Sanskaar intends to say that out loud but all that comes out of him is a mere mumble. Under his brother's scrutinizing gaze, he sulks and tightens the blanket around himself, finally deciding to focus on the movie.

Halfway into the movie and Sanskaar feels Laksh tapping his shoulder again. Taking a deep breath, he turns towards his brother intending to ask him to scurry away, but his breath gets caught in his throat when he finds Swara sitting next to him, giving him a rather apologetic smile. Looking in front, at her former sitting place, he finds his brother now sitting next to his wife, his arms wrapped around her, and their son sitting on his lap. Unknowingly, a thought crosses his mind. Maybe one day, he can have such a family too!

Turning his head, he finds Swara still looking at him, smiling rather sweetly, a smile that always melts his heart. But even he has an anger to withhold. Huffing at her angrily, he crosses his arms once again and turns his attention back toward the movie. Swara is left shell-shocked at his childish tantrums.

A minute later, he feels a finger poking his shoulder and he does not even need to turn back to see who it is.

Swara: Gussa ho? (Are you angry?)

No response!

Swara: Will you not even talk to me now?

No response!