Unwanted guests

The War of the Ring was over and Middle Earth's inhabitants lived happily in the newly won peace. Since elves do not bond during wars or times of tragedy, many ellyn and ellith had remained unmarried. Due to this fact, a special festival where elves would gather together was held by the elven lords of Middle Earth every five years for the duration of one month. They hoped that this would provide better chances for unwed elves to find a partner.

This year the celebration would take place in Mirkwood for the first time. Thranduil had great hopes of finally getting Legolas married. He had already set his mind on one particular elleth, Lady Tinnueth, daughter of Lord Belegur. He had known Belegur since his youth and they had fought many wars together. Side by side, they had survived many battles. It was when Belegur's wife, Riniel, was with child that Belegur decided to move to the north and establish an elven settlement far away from Middle Earth's battle grounds. Many elves had joined him and Thranduil had not received any news of him ever since.

He had sent two messengers to the north. That was two summers ago. They had returned one full year later. Their report was very much to Thranduil's liking. The messengers spoke of beautiful elven settlements in the north and Lord Belegur and, most importantly, of his daughter, Tinnueth. Thranduil had become very enthusiastic upon hearing this news. Belegur and Riniel were both full blooded Sindar. That made their daughter the best candidate to marry his son.

Galadriel had suggested various spouses for Legolas in the past, yet Thranduil had been repulsed by her suggestions as the elves she had proposed were mostly Noldor. Beautiful ellith, but not what he had in mind for his son. He strongly wished for a Sindarin elleth and Belegor's daughter seemed to be the one.

Thranduil had sent invitations to Belegor and Lord Istor, who was in fact a Sindar as well. They had agreed to be present at this year's festivities in Mirkwood. Thranduil knew that Tinnueth was still unwed and he would make sure that this would change soon. His invitation had not only been for the occasion of the festivities. He had invited them for an unlimited amount of time. That would give him more time to arrange Legolas' betrothal with Tinnueth.

It was one week prior to the inauguration of the festivities and Lord Elrond had already arrived. The preparations were in full swing and Elrond was discussing the guest list with Thranduil. There would be about forty elves of Lothlorien and thirty from Imladris. The elves from the north would soon get there and Mirkwood also had its own inhabitants who were looking for a spouse. The festival had proven a success over the past forty years. However, a great number of elves had remained single.

Elrond was standing before the king's throne dais, looking up at Thranduil. "I have received news from Lord Dogion".

Thranduil rolled his eyes in disgust. With absolute disinterest the king asked, "What kind of news are you talking about"?

Elrond smiled knowingly at the king's reaction. He was aware of Thranduil's hatred towards Dogion and he would certainly become furious if he found out that Dogion was planning to attend this year's festival.

"He wrote to me and informed me that he is going to attend this year's festivities".

Thranduil rose abruptly from his throne and looked down at Elrond with fury and disgust.

"He is going to do what? Attend the festival? He is already married and he should stay away. I don't want him here".

Elrond smiled. "The only reason for his attendance is his son, Esgaron. The young ellon is looking for a wife. They have the right to come here as every other ellon and elleth has."

Thranduil walked down the steps of his dais fast and with ire, halting before Elrond. "Why does he have to come now? Why he did not attend one of the previous festivals in Imladris or Lothlorien? He has no place amongst us".