A moment of comfort

After the next day's breakfast, which none of Tinnueth's family attended, the king decided to visit them. He ordered the servants to arrange and deliver breakfast for Belegur and his family to their chambers. Thranduil straightened his back and knocked on the door. It took a moment until Belegur opened it. A smile appeared on his lips when he saw the king standing before him.

"Please, come inside."

Belegur opened the door wide and stepped aside, making way for the king to enter his chambers. "I am truly sorry that we did not attend breakfast this morning. But my daughter refused to come down to the dining hall and we did not want to be there without her."

Thranduil stepped inside the room and looked around, noticing that Tinnueth was absent. He had expected that she would be with her parents. Thranduil turned towards Belegur, his face bearing a formal expression.

"Where is your daughter?"

"She returned to her chambers about two hours ago. If you wish to see her..."

The king did not wait for Belegur to finish the sentence and interrupted him.

"Yes, I wish to speak to her. She is my guest and she was mistreated within my own halls."

Belegur left the room at once and the king was left alone with Riniel. Tinneuth's mother eyed the king closely. This morning he appeared to be much more relaxed than he had been during the previous days. Perhaps it was due to the fact that the situation regarding their daughter had been resolved. The king was the reason that her daughter was safe and she was glad that he cared for her and spent his personal time to insure her safety. Riniel got up from the sofa and approached the king.

"Your Majesty, I wish to express my gratitude to you. It is because of your care and attention that my daughter is safe again. It was a horrible experience for me as her mother, and even worse for my daughter who has suffered greatly the last few days. She feels very embarrassed and refuses to leave our chambers."

Thranduil raised a brow at Riniel's words. "She feels embarrassed? Your daughter has done nothing wrong."

Riniel nodded and her expression was worried. "We have been telling her the same thing, over and over again. But we can't change how she feels about all that has happened to her. It was a shameful experience for her."

Thranduil gave her a reassuring smile. "Do not worry, I will speak to her myself."

The door opened and Belegur walked inside the room along with Tinnueth who he pulled inside after him. The father smiled at the king and nodded his head towards his daughter, who was trying to keep out of view by standing behind him.

Thranduil rose up his chin and held his hands behind his back. "Please leave us alone for a moment."

Tinnueth's eyes widened and she squeezed her father's hand that she was still holding tight. Belegur turned around to face her and gently kissed her brow before he and Riniel left their chambers. Tinnueth turned and saw them leave before she lowered her gaze to the floor once the door had closed. Thranduil could hear her excited breath and clearly sense her emotions, a mix of shame and anger, great sadness and distrust. He took a few steps closer to Tinnueth before he spoke to her in a smooth and gentle voice which, for some inexplicable reason, sent shivers down her spine.

"You don't need to feel ashamed. In my eyes you have done nothing wrong."

Tears welled up in her eyes and she pressed her lips together in an effort to restrain her tears. Thranduil felt her emotions building up at a rapid pace, longing to be released. He looked down at her with compassion.