An unexpected opponent

Tinnueth arrived late at the practice grounds and was surprised to see that some of the torches were lit. They would usually fight in the dim light of the night. She looked around for Esgaron, but he was nowhere in sight. Though she was taken aback at his absence and the lit torches, she shrug her shoulders and was about to step towards the tree trunk when she heard a deep voice behind her.

"Are you looking for someone?"

The king's voice startled her and she turned around to see him approach her with a smirk on his face. He was dressed in black leggings and a simple black tunic which reached to his mid thighs. Tinnueth noticed a sword belt fastened around his waist. He looked very different than what she was used to, yet no less royal. He could wear anything and still impress, she instantly thought. However, she could not say the same about herself.

Thranduil stopped when he was an arm's length away from her and his icy-blue eyes roamed her slender body. She was wearing brown leggings that showed her lean legs, and her grey tunic fitted her curves perfectly. The top buttons were undone and revealed her thin silver chain which glistened in the light. Her long hair was braided and her face showed off great surprise.

"Did you expect to meet someone else here tonight?"

Tinnueth was not sure what to answer. She remembered that Gladhriel had warned them that it was forbidden to use the practice grounds at night and became slightly fearful. She decided to remain silent. The king, sensing her fear, smirked at her.

"You have failed to answer my question."

Taking a deep breath, she nodded. "Please forgive me, my king. Yes, I do meet Esgaron down here at night time. We practice sword fighting together."

"Sword fighting?"

Thranduil eyed her with an indefinable expression. He was pleased that she was being honest with him. Esgaron had not answered his questions truthfully. The king had paid the two brothers a visit earlier that evening, and had left them greatly displeased with their apparent lies. Tinnueth seemed to be very honest in comparison with them. He had made sure that the brothers would remain in their chambers tonight.

"Well... if that is so, then you will practice with me tonight."

Tinnueth looked up at him in surprise as Thranduil drew his sword and positioned himself, ready to fight her. She hesitated at first, but then she took secure footing, unsheathing her sword. They looked into each other's eyes and it became clear to Tinnueth that this was no game for the king. It would be a serious fight. He seemed somewhat angry.

Without further delay, she took a full swing at the king, yet he blocked it expertly. Stepping back, she attacked him once more and swung her sword at his side. Again he blocked her strike. They continued in this manner for a couple of minutes, until Tinnueth developed a feeling about the kind of opponent she was fighting with. He was obviously an expert sword fighter that would be hard to defeat. A smile escaped her lips at the realization that this fight was going to be an interesting one, leaving Thranduil bewildered by the expression on her face. The king had assumed that Esgaron had been teaching her how to wield a sword, yet her moves and posture gave away her experience. How great, though, he could not tell. But he was eager to find out.

Tinnueth swung her sword at the king with great force and he blocked it once more, though surprised by the amount of strength she used. This time he swung his sword at her, and it was her turn to block his blow. The two elves swung their swords at each other, each time blocking each other's strikes, their blades clanging loudly as they met. Tinnueth grabbed her sword with both hands and took a full swing at his head. Thranduil jumped back and swung his arm up, blocking her strike with expertise. He swung at her side and, as she ducked under his sword, she tried to swing her sword at his legs. Thranduil jumped up and brought down his sword towards her head.