An unwise interrogation

When Belegur entered the hall, he froze at the sight of the king lying on top of his daughter and the sound of her irrationally fast breathing. His first reaction as a father was that of blood-boiling rage. The king had looked up upon hearing his voice, yet he did not move an inch away from panting Tinnueth. Belegur had almost crossed the entire distance from the entrance to the back of the hall when Thranduil finally rolled off of her. It was only at that moment when Belegur noticed the wound on her flushed cheek and her bloody clothes. He looked at the king reproachfully before he knelt by his daughter and checked upon her condition. He helped Tinnueth to her feet and, without uttering a single word, walked with her out of the hall.

Thranduil stood still as his gaze followed them until their figures disappeared in the dim light. He tried to figure out what had just happened. The king headed to the healers' ward to get his wounds cleaned and bandaged, surprised to find that Belegur and Tinnueth were not there. Gladhriel eyed the king slightly upset when he entered the healers' ward and informed him that Belegur had requested for Lord Elrond's help. The Lord of Imladris had come to her in order to pick up what he needed to heal her wounds. Thranduil, almost absent-mindedly, sat on a chair and Gladhriel began to unbutton his wet and dirty tunic.

Elrond meticulously stitched the wound on Tinnueth's left breast. The sharp blade had cut deeply into her flesh and the wound was bleeding profusely. His eyes returned repeatedly to hers as she winced in pain each time the needle penetrated her delicate flesh. Elrond was greatly displeased when he realized the state her suffering body was. He understood Belegur's fury. Thranduil must have fought her madly. Her mother Riniel sat at her bedside and held her daughter's hand while she spoke calming words to her.

Belegur stood at the end of her bed as he watched the old elf stitching his young daughter's wounds. He had not believed Esgaron's words when he had met him earlier that night. Esgaron had told him that the king was furious about his relationship with Tinnueth. He had forbidden him to practice fencing with her, and had left in a fury to find Tinnueth while he held his sword ready in his hand. Belegur had then believed that the young ellon had exaggerated, needlessly worried. He had known the king for so long and knew that he would not harm anyone for such ridiculous reasons. Had Thranduil tried to arrange Legolas' marriage to his daughter, as Esgaron had claimed earlier that night? After what he had seen, he now considered it possible. This would explain the king's mad behaviour in attacking his daughter. Tomorrow he would go to Thranduil and speak to him. The only thing he wanted to do right now was to be with his daughter.

When the king appeared in the dining hall in the morning, he drew everyone's eyes on him. The cut on his chin and the large bruise on his cheekbone were clearly visible. Esgaron and Maldor smiled at the sight. Tinnueth had apparently beaten him up. Enjoying their breakfast, they waited for her arrival, however this did not happen. Towards the end of the breakfast, the brothers had got concerned about the possible reasons for her absence. None of Tinnueth's family had been present at the table, as well. Perhaps the king had caused her a terrible injury? They would have to find out what had happened the previous night. And they knew exactly whom they would ask.

Esteleth left the dining hall and headed towards the corridor. She had to pick something up for Tinnueth from the healers' ward. She was still in shock, having seen her friend in pain caused by the multiple cuts on her slender body. This was new to her. Tinnueth had not suffered any injuries since she had turned ninety-two years old. The king must have been a good opponent. But why had they fought to the degree of injuring each other that much? She had seen the king's face and understood that Tinnueth was not the only one who had suffered injuries. Smiling at this, she was about to turn around a corner when she was suddenly pulled into a niche. Esteleth smiled at the ellon, only to realize that it was not the prince who had pulled her into seclusion, but Dogion's sons. Her smile vanished.