A moment for reflection

Esteleth tugged at her dress and eyed herself critically in the mirror. Her mother had not liked the dress last night and the seamstresses had made some last minute changes. The dress did not look the same as Esteleth had imagined, but it was acceptable. It was probably better that way, she thought. Esteleth looked over her shoulder and a smile appeared on her lips when she saw Tinnueth. She lay on a settee with her eyes closed. Tinnueth still looked weak. She was pale and very thin. But now her cheeks were slightly rosy. Esteleth suspected that Tinnueth was a little excited.

It was already afternoon and Tinnueth did nothing more than to lie on the settee. She didn't notice Esteleth's presence because she was too absorbed in her thoughts. Tinnueth reflected about her life. The trip to Mirkwood had taken a different course than she had imagined. It resulted in drastic changes in her life. She would marry the king. Tinnueth's heart beat faster as she thought of Thranduil. The way how Thranduil had taken care of her, had not gone unnoticed. At first she did not understand his motive. She thought that he felt guilty. But the longer he had sat at her bedside, the clearer it became that it was something else that kept him at her side.

Tinnueth flinched suddenly when she felt a sharp pain. She raised her hand and looked at it, frowning. The missing finger brought back memories, which she wanted to forget. She rubbed her hand and closed her eyes again. Tinnueth thought of Thranduil and wondered when it had begun. When had the connection between them come into existence? Had it been the sword fighting? Or was it the discussion which they had had? Or perhaps the moments when he had rescued her. A smile played on her lips as she remembered how the king had saved her. Yes, perhaps it had happened in this very moment. She remembered the feeling when he had held her protectively in his arms after Legolas had found her. Despite her pain and all the suffering which she had felt at that moment, he had given her something very precious.

Her fëa had been desperately seeking protection, and she had found it in Thranduil. Something had changed significantly, which she could not really understand at the time. A part of her life was over at that moment, and a new part had begun. What it was, she did not know at that time. In the days which followed, Tinnueth had felt the presence of Thranduil's fëa, as he had desperately searched for her in the darkness which had surrounded her. She did not understand it then, but Tinnueth knew now what had happened. Their fëar had united. Despite her unconsciousness they had found each other and Thranduil had given her strength through this delicate and subtle bond.

A tear rolled down her cheek and Tinnueth felt a gentle touch that brought the tear to a standstill. She opened her eyes and was surprised when she noticed that it was Thranduil who stood beside her. His usually pale face was a little darker than usual and his clothing was slightly blackish. He had returned from the forge. Thranduil sat beside her on the settee and looked at Tinnueth questioningly. His voice was low and deep.

"Why are you crying," he asked slightly worried.

Tinnueth smiled at him, "I'm just happy."

Thranduil wiped away another tear and nodded before he took her hand in his.

"Let me take you to your parents. You're tired. It would be better if you rest before the ceremony."

Thranduil helped her up and put his arm around her slender waist. Together they left the sewing room.

-----

Legolas paced in his chamber while Esteleth stood near his door.

"I just observed your father and Tinnueth," she said.

The prince looked at her surprised.

"What happened," he asked curiously.

Esteleth smiled.