A special day

Tinnueth paced nervously back and forth in her chamber while Esteleth sat nearby and combed her hair.

"I feel sick," said Esteleth and looked at Tinnueth, which stopped abruptly.

"Me too, she said, and risked a glance in the mirror. She had not slept all night because Thranduil had not been with her. As it was the custom of the elves, he could not see her before the wedding. Thranduil had come on the previous evening and had asked if it was okay if she would spend the night without him. Tinnueth had reluctantly agreed and Thranduil had told her that she might at any time come to him if it was necessary. Her welfare was more important to him than customs. Tinnueth had not slept for fear of nightmares, which still plagued her regularly. Usually Thranduil sat all night at her bedside, but not this night. She yawned and looked at Esteleth.

"Tomorrow all will be over and we will laugh about our concerns of today," said Tinnueth.

Esteleth laughed and shook her head.

"You're right. But I still wish that the ceremony would begin soon."

"The time until then will pass faster than you would like," replied Tinnueth. "When the maids come, time will pass quickly."

There was a knock at the door and a maid peeked in. Both ellith sighed and looked at each other nervously. The time had come to prepare themselves for their wedding.

*****

"That looks better than yesterday," said Esteleth as she eyed herself critically in the mirror.

Tinnueth smiled, "Yesterday it looked just as good," she commented.

Both were dressed and ready for the ceremony. As Galion came to pick them up, Esteleth seized Tinnueth's hand.

"It's just Legolas," she said nervously as they left the chamber.

Esteleth had been waiting for a whole year for this moment and now as it finally happened, she was incredibly nervous. All of which she had dreamed for an entire year, would happen tonight. Well, maybe not everything, she said to herself.

Music played softly in the background as they entered the great hall which was filled with elves. Esteleth's heart beat faster when she saw Legolas, who was standing in the middle of the hall and looked at her. Judging by his look, Legolas liked what he saw and Esteleth blushed.

"Legolas," Thranduil said with a grin. "Please no licentious kissing in front of my subjects."

The prince chuckled and nodded.

"I'll try to restrain myself," he replied, while his eyes were fixed on Esteleth.

Tinnueth's hands shook as she finally stood before Thranduil. He took her hand in his and together they made the last steps together. Tinnueth noticed that the music was even quieter, until it ceased entirely. Her nervous glance fell on Thranduil, who smiled down at her.

Esteleth forgot her own excitement as she watched as Thranduil and Tinnueth were married. Luckily she would only marry, thought Esteleth, while she witnessed as Tinnueth took her vows as queen. Then Thranduil placed a silver diadem of leaves and small flowers on her head and Esteleth winced when Legolas nudged her. The elves bowed to their new queen and Esteleth became aware for the first time that her childhood friend was now her queen. A lone tear rolled down her cheek, and a strange feeling crept into her heart, which caused her great discomfort.

"It's just a title," said Legolas.

Esteleth looked at him in surprise.

"How do you know," she whispered surprised, when she understood that Legolas knew how she felt.