Legolas dishonest effort

Thranduil took Belegur, Istor and their families on a tour through his palace in the afternoon. Legolas accompanied them. He did his best to stay close to Tinnueth while he stole glances at Esteleth from time to time. Legolas waited for the tour to end, which would happen when they reached the king's private garden. Then he would try to use the location to his advantage.

When his father had left his chambers, Legolas had gone to the healers' ward. Gladhriel had checked his head and had given him a soothing concoction to drink. Having felt better, he used this opportunity to speak to her. She was the king's personal healer, a very old and wise elleth. Legolas had known her all his life. Many times she had patched up his wounds since he had begun to patrol the forest as a young elf. Now he was long grown up and he trusted her.

They sat on a small bench in the healers' garden and Legolas opened his heart to her.

"My father wants me to impress an elleth. But I do not know how to do that. In fact, I don't want her to be my wife."

Gladhriel eyed him closely. "Your heart longs for someone else."

Legolas nodded sadly. "Yes. But my father has already chosen my bride. And now I have to impress her. Father wants me to show off with her tomorrow morning at breakfast. Otherwise..."

Gladhriel looked at him sternly. "Did your father's wrath cause you this injury?"

Legolas nodded but remained silent. She smiled at the young prince with compassion.

"Ellith have a soft spot for nature, flowers and small attentions you give them in the most unexpected moments. They are gentle creatures with a tender heart. Offer her a flower and speak kind words to her. Always be gentle and caring. Normally ellith fall for these kinds of things."

Legolas looked at her with gratitude. "Thank you from the bottom of my heart."

"And I wish you all the luck in the world, my prince."

He turned to leave when he heard her voice again. "Legolas, if this does not turn out to your father's liking, please know that you can come to me at any time of day or night."

He smiled sadly at her and left the healers' garden. That was great. If his father caused him more damage, she would patch him up. Legolas shook his head in frustration and headed towards the dining hall. He was late for lunch.

When they arrived at the king's private garden, Legolas diverted his attention to the many flowers which bloomed there. Each type had an exceptionally beautiful look and a unique smell. He was uncertain which one he should choose for Lady Tinnueth. His thoughts always returned to Lady Esteleth, and he finally chose the flower which he believed Esteleth would like most. Picking it carefully he waited for an opportune moment when Tinnueth stopped and touched a rose bush while the others walked on. Legolas approached her and cleared his throat, looking down at the elleth in expectation. Tinnueth looked up and beheld the prince. She rose up and waited for him to speak.

"My lady, I saw this flower and thought it would definitely match your beauty. Please accept it as a token of my appreciation for you."

Legolas had great difficulty saying those words to her. They sounded nice but it was merely his tongue that had uttered them. They had not come from his heart. He held out the flower towards her, waiting for Tinnueth to accept it.

Tinnueth took the flower from his hand and thanked him. She smiled and turned around to catch up with the others. Esteleth had been waiting at a distance, watching the prince's display of affection towards her friend.

Thranduil led them towards the fountain where they spent the rest of the afternoon together. Elrond, Galadriel and Celeborn joined them and they discussed long and deep about Middle Earth's history and about the north, which none of them had ever seen. Riniel and Galliel were sitting under a large tree, enjoying the sun while their daughters were seated on a bench near a small pond.