Revenge is sweet

Legolas was nervous. His thoughts revolved only around the words of his father. From the moment when he had entered the great hall, he felt that everyone was staring at him. His gaze was fixed on the ground as he followed his father to the center of the hall.

Elrond had awaited their arrival, and looked the king questioningly.

"Is Legolas having second thoughts," he inquired, while he gazed at the prince.

Thranduil smirked and remained silent. It amused him to see his son's embarrassment. It has been a long time since he had last seen Legolas like that. But then the king's smirk disappeared and he scowled regretfully. He was playing with Legolas' feelings on his special day. His son had been so eager to share this auspicious occasion with him, but now Thranduil was ruining it. He gazed at Legolas before he turned to him.

"Legolas, please don't take my words too serious. It was not entirely true what I had said. No one except your father and mother can notice the fine traits of lust which linger in your aura."

Legolas gazed at his father and frowned.

"Do you know that I believed any of your words," he said, feeling relieved.

Now Thranduil felt even guiltier than before.

"I know. That's why I thought it would be best, if I ended your ordeal."

Legolas grinned now and rubbed his forehead with his hand.

"Do you realize that I could take revenge?"

Thranduil chuckled and wondered if Legolas might be serious.

"You would not fool around with my old father," he asked cautiously.

"If you do fool around with your only son on a day like this, then you have put yourself at risk."

Thranduil smiled and his gaze traveled through the large hall. His eyes widened when he spotted their guests.

"Here come our future relatives," he remarked, with a smile on his lips.

The prince gazed towards the end of the hall where he spotted the two families, who had just entered the large hall. Legolas took a deep breath and straightened his back. In his mind, the engagement was already over and Legolas was alone with Esteleth. He gazed at his father who stood next to him. Thranduil's hands were clasped behind his back and he observed the elves.

"Ada, how long must we remain at the festivities?"

Thranduil immediately understood the reason for Legolas' question.

"Until sun rise, I guess."

Legolas' head whipped around and he frowned. Thranduil gave him a side glance and remarked, "That counts for you and Esteleth. I and Tinnueth however, will leave the celebrations soon."

Thranduil could not suppress his smirk. He could swear that he saw envy in his son's eyes. Legolas remained quiet.

"Believe me my son, if could change the past, I would do so. I would rather spend a thousand nights with Tinnueth, celebrating our betrothal until sunrise, than bringing her back to her chamber tonight. It's her poor health which will force us to leave the celebration earlier."

Legolas saw the pain in his father's eyes and nodded silently. His father was right. Tinnueth needed rest. His gaze wandered to Esteleth's family and Legolas was glad, that she had not gone through the ordeal, which Tinnueth had been through. The prince watched as they approached and his attention fell on Tinnueth's family. They were obviously happy but Legolas could see that beneath their smiles was still the shock and fear which they had experienced.