Caught in the act

To Esgaron's displeasure Tinnueth looked angered when she sat down for breakfast the next morning. She ignored him. Turning his eyes towards his elder brother, Esgaron shrugged his shoulders and sighed in defeat. This was exactly what he had feared. Esteleth must have told Tinnueth about the previous day's misdeed. He poked his fork into his food, furious at his brother who was apparently in very good spirits. His eyes travelled to Esteleth, and Esgaron noticed that she eyed him angrily while she ate her breakfast. But to him it seemed that behind her angry facade, a victorious smile was hidden. He should have known that this was a bad idea. Why had he listened to his brother? But now it was too late. The damage had already been done. Esgaron looked longingly at Tinnueth, who continued to ignore him. Utterly frustrated, he focused on his own meal.

Thranduil sipped on his wine and watched in great satisfaction as Tinnueth gave Esgaron the cold shoulder, ignoring him completely. The previous day's incident with Esteleth and the brothers had a wonderful effect on their relationship. At least that was Thranduil's view. A smug smile appeared on the king's face. He drained his wine goblet in one large gulp and hoped that the bitterness and anger in Tinnueth's heart would last long enough to pull Esgaron out of circulation. The young ellon was a fool, having taken part in the harrassing of the best friend of the elleth he wished to marry. A very dumb thing to do.

Thranduil narrowed his eyes and watched Maldor who spoke enthusiastically with his father and mother. The king suspected the elder brother to have been the mastermind behind the previous day's foolish plan. Dogion seemed in good spirits this morning. Thranduil shook his head in disbelief. If his son had forged such an idiotic plan, the last thing he would do would be to smile. He might rather lose the will to live instead of living with such a mindless son. And Dogion had two sons who were apparently both intellectually underdeveloped. This family was truly abnormal. Fortunately he would not see them again for a very long time after the festivities were over.

The king leaned back in his chair as he gazed at his son. Today the elves would visit the forest. The previous night Legolass had told him that he was planning to take advantage of Esgaron's mistake. The forest might be the right place to do so. Thranduil had nodded, approving of his son's idea. But in his mind he was uncertain about how much his son felt for Esteleth. The bond had been formed between them, but to what extend was Legolas aware of that? Could he feel it? Judging by his behaviour, Legolas seemed to be unaware of it. But how long would it remain like this?

In the late morning the elves had already gone out into the forest. Thranduil stood in the shade of a large tree, watching his son who had brought wild flowers to Lady Tinnueth. She smiled gently and accepted his gift. He watched how she eyed the flowers and Legolas began a conversation with her, making Tinnueth laugh often.

Esteleth was watching them, wondering why the prince was acting in this way. He had asked what Tinnueth liked, but acted exactly the opposite, knowing well that his behaviour would displease her. Maybe... maybe he did not love Tinnueth? Esteleth's heart began to beat faster at this thought. What if he acted on purpose? Perhaps his heart did belong to someone else? Or... to no one? Perhaps he did this only because his father forced him? When they had spoken together in the prince's chambers, Esteleth had not asked him if he was fond of Tinnueth. Perhaps he was not. But then why did he say that he was still in the game? She sighed deeply. The prince had been so kind to her whenever they had met. She turned her eyes away from them and looked over to the small lake in the distance. Could she win the prince's heart? Esteleth began to daydream while her parents kept a watchful eye on her.

*****

"I can see difficult times ahead."

Upon hearing her husband's words, Galliel nodded.