The ultimate plan

Legolas had withdrawn with Esteleth to his chambers. The prince did not speak for the rest of the night, nor did he utter a single word during the whole next day. He just lay in her arms, drowned in a raging sea of thoughts. Esteleth sat on his bed, leaning against the headboard while Legolas lay between her legs, his head resting against her flat belly. She caressed his head and face and gently combed her fingers through his hair, which she had freed from its small side braids earlier that day. He just lay there deep in thought, while she silently kept him company. Esteleth was relieved that his expression had calmed, though it now seemed blank. His face had displayed different forms and stages of anger throughout the entire night. But with the rising of the sun, his foul mood had eased and presently he looked indifferent.

The words spoken the previous night were still echoing in his mind, along with mental images constantly flashing before his eyes, never for a moment ceasing to remind him of the scene between his father and Maldor, making it hard for Legolas to calm down. He felt her fingers run gently over his hair and her fingertips draw invisible patterns near his hairline before they reached his sensitive ears. Her delicate hands stroked him lightly behind them before they cupped his face, her thumbs gently brushing his nose, then sliding downwards to caress his chin.

He sighed and turned onto his side, placing his cheek on her upper thigh. Her comforting presence had helped him to finally overcome the darkness which had invaded his heart and mind the night before. Her gentleness had increased in him the desire to get through this experience as calmly as he could. He had to begin to make decisions not only for himself, but for her, too. She would be his responsibility soon, his to protect. He had to offer her security and for this he had to be strong. This situation was a good opportunity for new resolutions. As he felt her slender fingers run smoothly through his hair, his tensed body relaxed gradually.

Esteleth felt deeply sorry that she had previously caused Legolas to worry. If it was his desire to live in his father's kingdom and to perform his duties, she would gladly share this burden with him. But did he still want to live with his father after all that had occured the previous night? Whatever he decided, she would stand by his side and support him. The previous night's events made her realize that love was something too precious to be bought at any cost. To find true love was a blessing. And she and Legolas had found it. One day she was going to become Legolas' wife and together they would share their suffering and bliss.

When the sun went down, there was a soft knock on the door. Esteleth looked up, whereas Legolas continued to lie motionless, partially covering her body. The king peeked into his son's chambers. Seeing them on the bed together, he walked inside and sat down on the edge of the bed. He looked at his son and sighed deeply. His face seemed strained and bore an indefinable expression.

Thranduil slid over the edge and sat down on the stone floor with his back against the bed frame. Together they sat there in silence until late at night, while no one spoke, each of them lost in their own thoughts.

A sudden touch on his shoulder made Thranduil look up over his shoulder. Legolas had laid his hand upon his shoulder, but his eyes remained closed.

"Thank you for coming."

Thranduil was surprised by his son's words, having expected to hear something angry or accusing. He answered Legolas by placing his own hand on top of his son's, which was still resting on his shoulder.

After a long silence, the prince stirred for the first time in hours. "Did you love my mother?"

The king nodded. "Yes."

"Did she love you?"

Thranduil shook his head. "No. My love for her had blinded me and my judgment."