Battling the darkness

The king was on the way to a early and unscheduled council meeting when he suddenly changed his mind and instead visited his son. He did not want to postpone this conversation any longer. Legolas and Esteleth sat in the princes chamber and studied a map of the north which Belegur had given them. The prospect to travel north in only a week delighted the prince immensely. He was eagerly looking forward to visit Esteleth homeland. Thranduil knocked and walked into his son's chamber "Legolas, I wish to speak to you in private". The prince rose his brows in surprise and nodded "Where will we speak"? Thranduil looked over to Esteleth "We will speak here in your chamber. And you my dear will have to leave now". Esteleth smiled at the king and bowed to him before she left the chamber. Thranduil walked out onto the balcony and Legolas followed him. They stood there silently for some time and gazed into the distance until Legolas spoke "Ada, aren't you supposed to take part in the council meeting"? Thranduil nodded without a word. "And why are you here? You said that you wish to speak to me. Please forgive me, but I am naturally curious about the reason. Has it something to do with the spontaneous council meeting"? Silence fell and Legolas gaze wandered over the forest far into the distance. He was not in a rush. If his father needed some more time before he was ready to speak, he would gladly wait. Finally Thranduil turned towards his son "I know that you decided to leave the kingdom, never to return". Legolas looked at his father in surprise "And who told you that"? Thranduil smirked at his son "You yourself told me". "Ada, I am sure that I have never said that to you". The king sighed "You said that if you left this kingdom, you would not return. At that point you had already decided to leave with Esteleth and her family for the north. Your decision had been made". Legolas nodded "Yes this is indeed the truth".

Thranduil turned around and looked into his son's face which was peaceful and happy "I accept your decision. But I must admit that I do not like it". Legolas felt pride fill his heart as he heard his father's words. He really meant what he had said. His father had changed greatly, even though he knew that the same nasty and cold king still slumbered within him. He might sometimes awake and his intolerable qualities might resurface again, but for the main part of the time his father was a pleasant elf to have around. Everyone had noticed it during the last week and rumor had it that the elven king loved the elleth which he had rescued. Everyone talked about it, but the king himself was unknowing about this fact. Legolas and Elrond insured that the king's privacy was maintained. They wanted to give Thranduil the freedom and the time which he would need to adjust to the change which his heart presently underwent. "I have come here to request you to help me". Legolas train of thought broke "With what can I help you ada"? A heavy sigh escaped the king's lips. He crossed his arms behind his back and looked deep into Legolas eyes "Help me by ruling this kingdom". The princes jaw dropped and he stared at his father in utter surprise "My wish is that you will rule it as the prince regent for a certain amount of time". Legolas cleared his throat "Ada, why... I mean..... the necessary qualifications...." Thranduil completed his son's sentence "will develop with experience and practice. As they did in my case. I was not a born king, even though my father had been the king before me. We all must learn and I want you to begin to learn now". Legolas actually blinked a few times, trying to digest what his father had just said. Prince regent? He had expected his father to come up with many different things, but not with the request to rule his kingdom as prince regent. That was indeed unexpected. Thranduil saw the doubt and hesitation in his sons eyes, and went on to explain his motives to his son.

"I wish to spend more time with other things. As you know my days are filled with council meetings, functions, correspondence, granting audiences etc. All this steals far too much of my time. It would be a relief if you could take over my duties. Who can tell, but the day may come when it will become your rightful duty to rule this kingdom".
Legolas remained silent and Thranduil continued to speak. "When I say that I wish to spend my time with other things I mean that I wish to develop my relationship with Tinnueth. I have ruled alone my whole life since my father's death and the time I had spent with your mother was indeed very short. I feel the need to have a wife by my side, to support me and to share the burden of kingship with me. My heart and fäe have chosen her. Perhaps Tinnueth will reject me. But what if not? I would like to marry her. And if the Vala allow it, I hope to see another elfling run through those halls one day". Thranduil lowered his gaze feeling visibly insecure and Legolas heart melted as he heard his father's honesty. This moment was so touching that it made him immensely excited. He remembered his youth when his arrow had pierced right through the center of its target for the very first time. He remembered that day very vividly. He had jumped into the air like a mad elf and his father's pride had been so obvious that Legolas had always carefully kept this memory. It had been a beautiful and precious moment with his father. Now he felt the same pride within his heart which his father had once felt. He placed his hand upon the king's shoulder and smiled widely "If you entrust me this kingdom, I believe that I will be successful. I accept your request gladly. But in the beginning I will need your guidance".
Thranduil looked into Legolas eyes and saw honesty and readiness. "I thank you. And I am sure that you will be a good ruler". Legolas grinned "If your words will prove truth, only time will reveal". Thranduil nodded "Let us go to the meeting and announce the change. Shall we"? The king stood proudly and was actually surprised that Legolas had accepted his request. Together they left Legolas chamber and headed towards the council chamber. The king's announcement was received with utter surprise and doubt but also with general acceptance. The prince had already agreed to the change, and he was in the general opinion of the council members ready to rule. It would be a good training for him, and everyone secretly hoped that a new air would enliven the kingdom. The once so urgent council meeting was postponed to the afternoon on Legolas request, who desired to inform Esteleth about the serious change immediately. No word about the change in rulership of the Woodland realm would leave the council until evening.
When all the council members had walked out of the chamber Thranduil turned around to his son "Elrond told me that Tinnueth's body is healing but that her fäe does not. That is exactly what I had feared. If she will wither away, I will certainly...." The king sighed deeply "I simply wish to be with her. I wish to sit by her side and hold her hand, make her feel that I am there for her if she needs me". Legolas stared at his father through wide eyes "I will speak to Esteleth and begin my duty. I hope that your endeavor to help Tinnueth will be successful and that she will appreciate it when she wakes up". Thranduil nodded "I hope so too". "Ada, what are you planning to say to her parents? How will you explain the reason for your presence at their daughter's bed side"? The king furrowed his brows " I have not yet thought about that. Do you think that I will have to explain that? Or will it be obvious"? Legolas shrugged his shoulders "I think it will be obvious. Just go in there and see how they react to your presence. I will leave you now and speak to Esteleth". When Legolas had gone Thranduil left the council chamber and headed towards the healers ward.