Breaking the spell

Laerguleth was standing still in the king's chambers, looking at him through fearful eyes. Thranduil approached her slowly and halted at a short distance, eyeing her with a murderous gaze.

"Laerguleth... It has been a long time since I last saw you."

His voice was cold as ice and the threat in it was more than obvious. Her only reply was an almost imperceptible nod. Thranduil narrowed his eyes slightly.

"Why do you fear me? What did you do that burdens your conscience to such a degree that it makes it impossible for you to speak to your king?"

Laerguleth lowered her head, avoiding the king's penetrating gaze.

With one long stride he stood before her and grabbed her chin demandingly, forcing her to look up into his fierce face.

"Answer me!"

Thranduil's eyes were on fire, making her guess what her punishment would be if she angered him further. Her voice came out almost inaudible.

"I have bewitched an elleth."

Thranduil let go of her chin and took a step back, distancing himself from her. His expression was tense as he knew already what her next answer would be.

"And whom did you bewitch?"

"Her name is Tinnueth, daughter of Belegur."

The king arched an eyebrow, indicating her to continue to speak.

"Two brothers came to my house recently and requested my help. One of them was in love with her and I saw no harm being done by helping them."

Thranduil stood still, yet the elves in the chamber noticed that his clenched hands were shaking with rage.

"What kind of spell did you use on her? Can it be broken?"

Thranduil was not new in the field of spells, for he had his own experience with them. Her reply caused his hot anger to decrease slightly. Laerguleth nodded, hoping that he would show her mercy as the spell she had used was less powerful than the ones the king was familiar with.

"It was a simpler spell than the one which I had used on... you know of whom I speak. The brothers did not possess any of the elleth's blood, so I used her hair instead. I can break the spell tonight if need be."

Thranduil stepped closer to her again, eyeing her fiercely, his voice dripping with venom.

"There is a great need for your witchcraft to be ended, sorceress!"

He turned to Thalawest and Thurinor. "Find Belegur and bring him here immediately!"

Turning his attention to his trackers, he listened to their report while he kept a watchful eye on Laerguleth who was standing pale and stiff in the middle of his chamber, awaiting her fate. They had tracked the brothers' steps down to her house and knowing that she was a sorceress, they had decided to bring her to their king instantly. Thranduil nodded with approval, greatly pleased with their work. He had always been able to rely on them. The king sent them away while he still stared daggers into Laerguleth.