Thranduil discovers the deceit

The next few days passed with the same scene at every breakfast, lunch and dinner. Tinnueth and Esgaron always entered the dining hall together. While Thranduil was seething with anger, his son wore an angry expression on his face but, in fact, his heart was filled with joy. Everything was proceeding as he had hoped. He had spent quite a lot of time talking with Esteleth, and had no doubt anymore that he truly loved her. He wished for something to happen that would change his father's mind. The king himself could not really understand what was going on. Lady Tinnueth now seemed to behave differently towards Esgaron. And to Thranduil's displeasure, Belegur and his wife seemed to be content about it.

The king emptied his goblet of wine and recollected the previous night's conversation with Lady Tinnueth. The young elleth had almost managed to drive him mad with her misbehavior. It had surprised him how ignorant she was. No one apart from that filthy dwarf Thorin Oakenshield had ever dared to speak to him like she did.

"To be honest, your kingdom is not the most pleasant place to live in. The forest is dark and there is no freedom for the elves living here. They live imprisoned within your halls."

Thranduil was infuriated by her opinion, though he tried to conceal it by making an effort to smile. It was not very favourable for them that she did not like her surroundings.

"And what would you have me do? Let them live in the forest, getting slaughtered by orcs, spiders and other miscreants?"

She stood proudly before him, looking him straight in the eye.

"I think you could have stopped the darkness from spreading through the forest if you had acted timely. Up in the north we have never had the kind of problems that you face in your realm. There are many tales that speak of your splendour and bravery in battle but if one takes a look at your forest, one could easily suspect that these stories are far from the truth. On the contrary, my father has done well in the north."

Thranduil stared at her in anger, trying to restrain himself from grabbing her by her throat and strangling her to death. She was so full of ignorance that it made him nauseous. He spoke his words through gritted teeth.

"Your father settled north after the darkness had reached this land. He preferred to leave this forest, instead of defending it..."

Tinnueth looked up at Thranduil and interrupted him. "Are you telling me that my father is a coward? I was told that he did this to protect his family and the elves who followed him. You could have done the same for your son. But you decided to remain here."

The king became even more furious on hearing her words. He clenched his hands into fists and his body began to stiffen as fury began to pulse through his veins with every beat of his heart.

"This kingdom had already been established long before your father left it. And your father had been dwelling here for many years. He had a choice, and he chose to leave."

Tinnueth shook her head. "But you had a choice too, and yet you decided to remain here, letting your son be born into the foul darkness."

Thranduil's eyes grew large and his jaw tensed noticeably. Tinnueth furrowed her eyebrows, worried by the apparent sign of the king's anger which was now clearly visible in his face and eyes.

"Yes, I made my own choice. My subjects and I remained here, protecting our land and the surrounding lands to the best of our ability."

Tinnueth was not sure whether the king was blind or too proud to see the reality.

"You protected your land? Hmmm... A look into your forest says otherwise. It is dark and sick."

The king took an intimidating large step towards Tinnueth, towering over her, while he leaned down in her face.