Worries of The Heart

"I could not sleep all night, "said Tinnueth softly.

Thranduil cupped her cheek with his hand and looked deep into her worried eyes.

"Why did not you come to me," he asked.

Tinnueth looked away from him and said nothing.

"Know that you can come at any time to me, even if it is in the middle of the night." Thranduil understood her concern and tried to soothe her. "This is my forest and I know its dangers better than anyone else," he said quietly. "I promise you that I will not do anything careless. I will return to you every night."

Tinnueth nodded silently.

Thranduil placed a kiss on her forehead and turned around. He went to his horse and gave a couple of commands before the elves left the halls of the woodland realm.

Tinnueth lowered her head and sighed softly as Esteleth put her hand on her shoulder. Together they went back into the halls of the king. Tinnueth sat on her settee and looked thoughtfully into the empty fireplace.

"Why do you worry so much," asked Esteleth, "The king is riding into his forest. He will return in the evening."

Tinnueth furrowed her brow, "Yes, but what can happen in the meantime?"

Esteleth could not understand Tinnueth's concern.

"Perhaps he will be injured," said Tinnueth, her voice shaking with excitement as she looked at Esteleth desperately. "Don't you worry about Legolas safety?"

"Don't you think that you are exaggerating with your fear," Esteleth asked cautiously.

"You do not know what is lurking in this forest. You were not there. Therefore, you can not understand my fear," replied Tinnueth.

Esteleth was speechless. She knew what had happened to Tinnueth. Although Tinnueth had never spoken to her about it, she had heard much from Legolas. Tinnueth's fear was justified. Esteleth had not given much thought about the reason why the elves rode into the forest. Legolas had told her, but Esteleth had never seen it as Tinnueth did. While she thought only that Legolas would come back in the evening and they could spend time together, Tinnueth was concerned about the safety of the king. She was afraid that he might get injured. Esteleth suddenly felt guilty. The same could happen to Legolas. She had said goodbye to Legolas with a smile, while Tinnueth concern for Thranduil had been written all over her face. Esteleth leaned back and stared at the ceiling. Why had she been so naive? Esteleth gazed to the window and waited that it would finally be evening.

*****

Galion had ultimately been able to convince Tinnueth to go to her chamber after she had been waiting for hours at the main gate for Thranduil's return. It was late evening when the guards at the gate heard the horses' hooves in the distance. Not long after the elves reached the halls of the woodland realm. Thranduil dismounted his horse and walked quickly over to Galion, who had been expecting him. The facial expression of the king told Galion that he was satisfied.

"I see you were successful," said Galion, when he accepted Thranduil's swords.

Thranduil nodded.

"Yes, we have come a long way. However, at the end of the day we encountered a pack of orcs. After we had killed them, we had to first ascertain whether they were the only orcs in this area before we started our way back. Legolas and the Captain of the guards will write a detailed report, which you will please submit to my Council later on."

Galion nodded and hesitated for a moment before he spoke.

"Tinnueth was here," he said.

Thranduil stopped and looked at Galion questioningly.