9

I focus intensely on reading the article on my laptop

I focus intensely on reading the article on my laptop. I only have limited time to finish this article for class tomorrow before I have to meet with my group for Greek.

If this article didn't make me grumpy, the thought of seeing Jacob is.

Everyone is out of the apartment. Julie is focusing on an internship while Lacey is on a date with Braden, Carter went for a run, and Rae is at cheer practice. I have my Airpods in even though everyone is gone I need to concentrate. I focus my eyes back on the article and jot down a few more notes. I vaguely hear the door opening and closing. It's probably just Carter or Lacey.. I check the time to double-check check I am not running late.

Kelly suggested that we should meet up at a local coffee shop to work on our assignment for the week. I honestly liked the idea better than the library. Jacob just responded with a thumbs-up. He barely talks to us. Well, he barely talks to me. He talks to Kelly all day long. I think she can tell there's some tension there-

I jump nearly off of my desk chair when I see Carter swinging her arms to grab my attention. I rip out my headphones and place a palm over my racing heart.

"Holy shit, Carter what the hell?"

"What? I've been standing here for like five minutes and have gotten no response. You know you're going to lose your hearing by like thirty," she says. I glare at her. She puts her hands up in defense, "I was just saying."

"Did you just come in here to insult my hearing or to tell me something?" I question her. She releases a breath and chews on her bottom lip. I tilt my head at her, "What did you do?"

"I didn't do anything!" she defends herself. I would believe her but when Carter is guilty of something, it's written all over her face.

"Yeah okay, spill it. What did you do? Are you pregnant? Engaged?" I ask her, turning around and facing her. She gives me a horrified look.

"Uh-I no, you know I told Asher not until I graduate," she grumbles, crossing her arms over her chest. I sigh, glancing at my laptop time. We have to meet at the coffee shop at seven-thirty and it's seven right now.

"Carter, whatever you did just spit it out," I tell her shutting my laptop. I catch her frown from behind me.

"Wait where are you going?"

"Remember the group project? With Jacob," I emphasize the 'Jacob' part. Her brown eyes widen in realization. I shove my laptop and notebook into my backpack.

"Right. How is that? With Jacob?" she asks. I give her a funny look. Why is she acting so weird? And why is she asking about Jacob? Maybe she's worried I haven't kept my word. A slight pang of annoyance courses through me at that thought.

"We don't even acknowledge each other," I respond simply. I put my backpack over my shoulder and look back at Carter.

"Oh."