CHAPTER 11

Warning: chapter contains mature scenes that may be inappropriate to some readers. Please read responsibly. Thank you.

Through troubles and strife we stand side by side
Ready to face conflict, both hearts open wide
Love remains strong in spite of the fight
For what we know that together, we'll make the wrong right

THE HUSH BETWEEN us was almost apparent as we sat in the car. I could sense the tension in the air, and I knew he could as well. I looked over at him, but he was staring straight ahead, his face expressionless.

I attempted to come up with something to say to break the stillness, but my mind was blank. I felt as if I were walking on eggshells, fearful that the slightest phrase might destroy the fragile harmony we had established.

I took a long breath to calm myself down. I knew we needed to communicate, but I had no idea where to start. The stillness was deafening, and I could feel my worry increasing with each passing second.

I took a glance at him. His brows furrowed while his fists are clenched at the wheel of the car. It just added my anxiety of talking to him, but then the silence bothers me much that I didn't realize I'm the one who spoke first.

“Sorry. I-I should've told you earlier I was going somewhere. Hindi tuloy... hindi tuloy ako nakapunta sa meet up sana ng parents mo—”

“Okay lang.” But he seem nonchalant when he said that so I persisted on pursuing him.

“Quit pretending. It's obvious you aren't. Look, I am really sorry—”

“Hindi mo ba narinig? Okay nga lang.”

My heart jumped— but not in a good way. It jumped because it got hurt. I deserve it, anyway. Sino ba naman ang hindi maiinis? Ditched the Dinner of his parents that I was invited, just to prove I'm not in love with that guy anymore? How ridiculous.

How am I even going to explain to him everything? It's not easy as I think it is. He can't know my reason. “I'm sorry talaga. Babawi ako—”

“Wag na, kahit doon ka na lang sa kausap mo kanina bumawi.” Great! Nagselos pa siya kay Hernan kanina!

He, then, stopped the car. “I'll leave you here now. Go home and we'll talk tomorrow.” Nang tignan ko ang labas ay nasa kanto na pala kami patungo sa bahay namin. Pero umiling ako. I'll leave him here, mad at me? No, of course.

“Tomorrow? Bakit bukas pa? I still want myself be clear to you—”

Hinampas niya ang manibela. “Clear? What's clear to me, Liora, is that you cancelled our event for today just for me to see you talking to another man! How ridiculous, isn't that, Lia?” Hinilamos niya ang palad sa kanyang mukha. “I told you, we should just continue this tomorrow.”

“And then what? Leave me awake for the whole night until the sun comes out? Terrence, hindi ako makakatulog nang iniisip ko na hindi tayo okay at ako ang may kasalanan.”

“So?”

I took a deep breath, trying to shook away the feeling. “I'm willing to do anything just for you to forgive me.”

He gave me a side glance through his fingers on his face. “Anything, you mean?”

“A-Anything...”

He gave me a grin— a grin that is mysterious. A grin that you'll be confused if you should either be happy or terrified.

“Considering the fact that we will start having our classes again tomorrow, I want you to be my slave and be my helping hand.”