CHAPTER 10

I KEPT a vigilant eye on his figure, never allowing it to escape my peripheral vision. His glances in my direction were not lost on me, though I chose to dismiss them without a second thought kahit na nakakabother ang kanyang tingin. Truth to be told, this was once came up in my mind—this situation. Such as: what if we cross paths accidentally? What would I feel? What would I do?

As reality crashed down upon me, I found myself enveloped in a whirlwind of uncertainty. Every question that plagued my mind, seeking solace and understanding, met only with a resounding chorus of "I don't know." The weight of the unknown pressed heavily upon my soul, leaving me adrift in a sea of emotions I struggled to grasp.

Confusion knotted my stomach, tying my insides into anxious knots. I yearned for clarity, for the surety that had once anchored my every decision. But amidst the tempest of uncertainty, one emotion burned brighter than the rest—my inexplicable anger. It crackled within me like a fierce flame, consuming my thoughts and inflaming my heart. Hindi ko maintindihan sarili ko, pero as of the moment, ayun lang ang nararamdaman ko. Its intensity surged through my veins, fueling a fire that threatened to consume all reason and restraint.

As the weight of the situation bore down on me, a profound realization took hold: I had made a grave mistake by coming here. Every fiber of my being screamed with regret, as if echoing the sentiment that had become my mantra. This place, this moment, was a twisted web of misjudgment and misplaced trust.

I just want to escape.

But... there's this something within me I want to prove to someone—Bella. Alam ko na ipupush through niya na may feelings pa ako kay Hernan—kahit wala naman na talaga at alam niyang may jowa na ako ngayon! Ngayon, papatunayan ko na wala na talaga at nang tigilan na niya ako.

“Oh, si Liora pala 'to, e?!” sabi ng isang kumalabit sa akin at nanlaki ang mata ko nang makita ang minsan ko ring naging ka-close noon. Nawala ang isipin ko sa ibang bagay at naituon na sa kanya ang atensyon.

“Janna! Buti dumating ka? Akala ko pa naman hindi.”

“Ay, ako pa?! Saka 'di ba hindi ka nga raw yata dadating dito? Bakit nakapunta pa rin?”

“Huh?” Napakunot ang aking noo. “Nasabi ko ba sa'yo? Wala akong...”

“Kinwento lang sa akin. Anyway, I'm glad you're here!”

We've talked over and over kasama si Elena. Tuluyang nawala ang mga nasa isip ko kahit na may part sa akin na hindi maiwasang ma-conscious sa presensiya ng lalaking nasa tabi ko. He was still there, and I can feel his gaze on me.

Kaya paulit-ulit akong tumitingin sa phone ko kung may message ba si Terrence pero wala akong natatanggap ni isa. Asaan ka na ba, Terrence? Ayoko na dito, as much as I still want to talk with my classmates before. Not with his presence here. Gustuhin mang tumakas ay parang nakakahiya nang gawin kina Elena at Janna. Kaya nagtiis ako.

Kinaya ko naman. Not until Bella declared to play a game truth or dare. It was going so smoothly— like a typical normal game. But when the bottle was turned to me na ang nagkataon pang magtatanong ay si Bella...

I know right there and then na kapag sinagot ko ang truth, she'll pop a question that will surely piss me off.

So, I said... “Dare.”

A mischievous smile formed into her lips. “Okay... I dare you to... prank your boyfriend by texting him you're breaking up with him.”

Nanigas ako sa kinauupuan. Gasps filled the silence. Maraming hindi nakakaalam na may boyfriend na ako kaya hindi na nakakapagtaka. But what is Bella talking about?! Is she for real right now? “Are you nuts, Bella? Why on earth would I do that?”

“What? Prank lang naman iyon, ah?” Tumawa siya na ikinakuyom ng kamao ko. “You can tell him afterwards it's all just a prank, duh.”

“Ang insensitive naman, Bella. Not all pranks are supposed to be like that,” sabi ni Elena sa tabi ko. “Really? Anong klaseng prank yan?”

“Oh, prank lang naman talaga,” someone sided Bella.

“You won't know what the other person would felt if you weren't on their place. Are you serious right now, Bella? Ang talino mo pa naman, pero ang tanga mo pagdating sa ganyan.”

Oh's filled the circle and Bella just rolled her eyes. “KJ. Fine. I'll go with...” She glanced at the man who has been staring at me the whole time. “Kiss Hernan. Kung wala ka na talagang feelings kay Hernan, it won't matter, anyway, right?”

IS SHE— nababaliw na ba siya?! I thought to myself, disbelief washing over me. The mere suggestion of kissing him felt absurd. I had a boyfriend, for Pete's sake! What was she trying to imply? That my current relationship was just a temporary distraction, and that deep down, I still harbored feelings for him? It was utterly ridiculous.

Without saying a word, I stormed away, brushing off the various complaints and annoyances from those around me.

“Hindi pa pala moved on!”

“Six years ba naman, di ba? Sinong hindi makakamove on?”

“Would you guys shut up?” Janna screamed. “Ang iinsensitive niyo!”

The surrounding voices continued to merge into an overwhelming chorus, creating a suffocating atmosphere. All I longed for was an escape from this place, regardless of the unknown whereabouts of the exit. I needed to break free from this stifling environment. Amidst my departure, a voice reached my ears from behind—a voice that I had long buried in the depths of forgetfulness, a voice that had been absent from my life for what felt like an eternity.

"Wait, Laya..." I heard my name, causing me to freeze in my tracks. Slowly, I turned around, my heart pounding in my chest, to see him standing there—the boy who had once shattered my heart into a million pieces. Time seemed to stand still as our eyes locked, memories flooding back with a bittersweet intensity.

“What are you doing here? Get back there. We're not meant to talk, anyway. Issue-han pa ako ng mga kaklase natin dati.” I tried to sound as cold as possible, hoping to discourage any further conversation.

But he continued, ignoring my obvious disdain. “You... have a boyfriend now?”

I rolled my eyes. “So?”

“It can't be, right? You...” He trailed off, looking down at his shoes.

“You think hindi ako makaka-move on sayo? Ganon? The world doesn't revolve around you, Hernan. Papalitan din kita,” I replied, feeling a sense of frustration rising within me. I couldn't believe he was still hung up on me after all this time.

“But... you see, I really am sorry—”

“Liora!” Terrence's voice filled the air and I immediately ran to him and ignored Hernan's presence. Napatingin si Terrence doon at nang tignan ko rin ay nakakuyom ang kamao niya.

“Let's go?” His brows furrowed slightly, revealing the curiosity that danced in his eyes. The corners of his mouth twitched, betraying the words that longed to escape. Yet, he chose to keep his thoughts confined within the depths of his mind. A silent nod was all that escaped his lips, a tacit acknowledgement of his unspoken inquiries.

As our fingers intertwined, a surge of warmth passed between us, bridging the gap between our souls. With a shared glance, we silently acknowledged the bewildered look etched on his face. Without uttering a single word, we conveyed our unity, our unspoken understanding of what lay ahead. Hand in hand, we stepped away, leaving him behind, his voice rendered powerless in the face of our unbreakable bond.