CHAPTER 20

But I guess at the end of the day
The past still lingers at the corner of my head
Denying it would be absurd
But I think I was left with no choice but to move forward

I SPENT THE entire night tossing and turning, my mind consumed by thoughts of the situation that had unfolded. The person I had met in Japan, turned out to be his fiancé.

Memories of what happened in Japan replayed in my mind. The boy whom I saved from choking—partida, proud pa ako nu'n na nakaligtas ako ng buhay ng tao!—tapos malalaman ko na lang na anak niya pala iyon?

Pero paano kung hindi? Paano kung friends lang sila? Paano kung... nagkataon lang?

“For real?! Kami kasi ng Fiancé and anak ko nag-bakasyon lang here. So, how's Japan so far?”

A whirlwind of butterflies danced chaotically in the labyrinth of my mind, their delicate wings fluttering with uncertainty. Each thought twisted and turned like a labyrinthine maze, trapping me in a web of confusion and doubt. It was as if I were standing at the crossroads of a thousand paths, endlessly overthinking each step, fearing the consequences that lay in wait.

A heavy fog settled over my soul, casting a shadow on my once vibrant spirit. Like a forlorn traveler, I wandered through this desolate landscape of sadness, my heart weighed down by an invisible burden. It was as if I had been stranded on a deserted island, surrounded by a vast ocean of melancholy, with no hope of rescue.

In this bewildering symphony of emotions, I felt like a lost explorer in an uncharted wilderness. Each step I took seemed to lead me deeper into the thickets of despair, entangled in a thorny embrace. The world around me grew dim, like a fading painting losing its colors, leaving me with a sense of hopelessness that echoed through the chambers of my weary soul.

I yearned for an escape, a glimmer of light to guide me out of this labyrinth of sadness and loss. But nothing. Only the feeling of my eyes being droopy and would close at any second. I didn't hesitate. I don't want to feel the pain anymore. I want to rest.

But as soon as I wake up, the uneasiness didn't leave me. The sound of my alarm jolted me from my sleep, and with heavy eyes, I dragged myself out of bed. As I stood before the mirror, I looked at my reflection, a face weighed down by the turmoil within. With a sigh, I reminded myself that life had a way of throwing unexpected curveballs, and it was my strength and resilience that would guide me through.

Determined to face the day, I chose to bury my emotions deep within and put on a brave face. After all, life moved forward, and so should I. As I prepared for work, I caught a glimpse of a family photo on my bedside table—a snapshot of my children and my mother. Their smiles reminded me of the love and support that surrounded me, anchoring me amidst the storm.

Chineck ko ang kambal at nakitang natutulog ito sa higaan ni Mama. They decided to be here last night, which I didn't bother because I'm not in the mood and I couldn't entertain them properly. I quietly sneaked in to kiss their foreheads.

“I love you both,” I said before heading out.

I arrived at the University as soon as I can but then eventually realized that I had arrived earlier than anticipated. The halls were quiet, save for the distant echoes of footsteps and the soft murmur of conversations. I entered the teacher's faculty only to see empty seats and a Janitor cleaning the area. Alam kong ma-bo-bore ako kaya napag-isipan kong magwaliw-waliw sa University. Na-miss ko rin dito. The campus had always been a sanctuary for me, a place where I found inspiration and serenity. As I walked along the pathways, the rustling leaves and the soft chirping of birds provided a comforting backdrop. Memories of my own university days flooded back, a time when life was simpler, dreams were grander, and love was yet to be complicated.