Sour Candy

When the storm came, I walked the perilous path paved with the blood of artists. Chalk outlines decorated that long, winding road to False Eden.

In that place, imitation gods and goddesses posed beneath the dying light of a grim sky. Shadows cast over their dwelling hid the scars marring their perfect bodies. In that black darkness, they projected their majesty. But they couldn't see that my eyes were that of a cat's.

I carved a spot in that place, shaping a hole I could never fit into. Tears on my flesh kept me present in enchanting entertainment.

A parade of vacancy filled the streets of that utopia, bringing to the people smiles but no wrinkles. Every float that glided by burned up in its respective passing, releasing foul embers that viciously pecked at my face.

A rose or two in my color taught me everything, but their slow wilting bled my soul. The nourishment they provided was eternal at best and fatal at worst. Poisonous in nature, the sickness those flowers brought both emptied and filled me.

In False Eden, I found forever in the form of a map—but I couldn't read it. So, into the forest I went, in search of that which would bestow the peace of a pleasant passage to death.