You Think You Know. You Don't.

Dawn falls upon an upside-down sky as you fall out of bed. You've had that dream again, and the remnants of it stain your hair like red wine upon an expensive rug.

In the mirror you see it all, all you've ever been and all you ever will be. You smile, proud of the person you think you are today, but will forget by tomorrow. Assured in your lack of assurance, you're simply the best at being the worst.

You grab your favorite necklace from the dresser and wrap it around your throat. From the center of it is the loop where he hangs, a pearl of doom dangling from an ornament of vanity.

But something is wrong, your favorite charm is missing, absent from your centerpiece. You drop to your knees, searching for the jewel, but you quickly lose interest. There will be other, far more pleasing gems that will complete the mess you've become.

I awaken from the nightmare, forsaken by gravity but grounded by anchors. A shovel rests beside me and I take hold of it, plunging the spade beneath the soil and through the crust.

I want something deeper than death—something beyond gods, devils, stars, or black holes. Bestow upon me treasure hexed with a curse beautiful and irreversible.

Blind the selfish of blood and the deceivers of metal. Behind the masks, they are one and the same, hypnotized by the ticking of their own skeletal clocks.

In the Summer Snow, let it be known that I never was or will be. Denied, but gifted something better: peace in an end long desired.

Look upon your vanity once more and adorn yourself with a new necklace, one that is black and blue with your teeth all over.

Feel the chill down your spine and strike a match.

Burn yourself for the last time.

Do it for me.