Distinction Without a Difference

The glow of a heavenly body brings a new day. Glistening in the light, you melt right off me, dripping from your mattress and down to the floor. You rise like a mermaid from a sea of silk and scowl at the mess you've made. Before you I lie, an amnesiac canvas, covered in all your favorite colors.

You frown, believing you had left me in last night's dreams, but I washed ashore in your reality—a complication on a satin pillowcase.

Together, we make a celestial trade. You stare into the abyss, and I stare into the void. Our gazes meet at the event horizon, and it's clearer than ever what this is: amour fou.

Your blonde hair is a mare's nest, a golden veil that shields you and dooms your precious little mooncalf.

My lips move to part, but you turn the key and strike a match. One for your heart and one for your brain. My body begins to disappear, fading into quiet, ethereal luminosity. Oh, the irony of a demon reduced to angel dust.

Arcadia in the heart of solitude and within the bosom of the seasons, you built your paradise atop a singularity. And by your design, I've been sucked deep inside you. Lost, but found in fleeting thoughts.

With my presence gone, you lie with your seraphs. Glimpses of your visage reveal to you my name in your eyes, carved upon your iris in runes. Beautiful scars, written in your own hand. Bloodless, but not painless.

The sound of silence follows. And we're left to ponder.

Lovely loneliness are the ties that bind.