Chapter Eight

────────────────────
ATHELO
────────────────────

"How's your father?" My mother asked as I haven't quite finished my wine. I at least thought she would allow me to prepare myself before conversing with that topic, because I for sure do not want to talk about my father while being sober. Thinking about him ruins my mood and it always has a knack for bringing pain to my head.

"Same old" I trailed, not wanting to further discuss someone who couldn't make time for a simple family gathering.

Currently, we're at our 'home' for some, it's a place where there exists a couple who spent most of their time together with their child as they guide and watch them grow. It may look like a home to others but for me, it's always a place where a very unconnected family resides during their son's growth. So after that son grew older, the supposed-to-be parents didn't see any purpose for them to stay in a single house any longer. So off those parents who went to live in their preferred habitat. Of course, the father stayed in that 'home' because it's his family heirloom after all. As for the mother, she went to a more secluded place where she can enjoy daydreaming. And then their son went to live his life on his own wherever apartments he can crash into. And yes, I'm talking about myself, except that I owned the apartments I crash into.

I can't quite say what relationship my parents have. But all I know is that they created their relationship solely because they have something to gain from it. However they did once tell me that they love one another, but I was young back then so it isn't valid.

To give the public a perfect picture, my parents made an appointment to meet up at the beginning and end of each month. Let's say a family reunion to catch an update on what we were doing and pretend to be happy while the paparazzi secretly take pictures in the background. They think they were smart hiding thoroughly in any hiding spots, when in reality they were being played by us, for we know they will be taking pictures. That's the reason why we sometimes go to a very public space, to openly show how much of a 'loving' family we are.

So sad that all they can capture today is a mother and son bonding in their home.

As I said, we're at my family's 'home', specifically in the dining room beside the glass wall where everyone outside under the second floor could see us. The mansion resides near the shore, in which the south consists of a two-way road, a sidewalk, and a seaside occupied near the house, then the rest are the salty green seas of Monaco. The south on the other hand is a very private walkway for only the residents of this street can walk, both west and east have nothing but houses. The dining location is in the south and nothing but a blue velvet curtain covers halfway of this stage scene. No doubt there are cameramen under the street. I know because some of my men are scattered around the corners, actively securing the area for any assassination.

"You know me well enough to know that I'm not satisfied with little to no details" Of course I know, I thought that luck was on my side, where she can cut me some slack this time.

"I haven't seen him much this past few weeks. He's out with his work and traveling here and there for meetings. The last time I saw him was when he scold me for my brash behavior" I finish my whine and went to grab the bottle to fill myself with another glass. If we're going to talk stressful topics then let me make myself drunk at least.
"I see, well, I sure hope your father can make up for his absence today. I'm planning to have dinner again this Wednesday, with the daughter of my friend" She slices the meat in half with her knife. Long pearly white painted nails shimmer under the golden light of the chandelier above the table. Her pale hand look out of place beside the green set up of the table, with various well-cooked dishes that made my mother's hand look uncooked.