Chapter Nine

─────────────────────
CASPAIN
────────────────────

"So, everything is resolved with your partner eh?"

"Yes" was Sage's short reply.

The blast of the bar's bop music and the short chatters of the customers surrounds us. It was a pretty peaceful night, with ten to fifteen customers who came to drink their stress away. Monday is typically the day when we either have a hangover after clubbing the entire Saturday and Sunday or are too tired to come after work.

No matter how peaceful it is, I still prefer crowded days since I get much bigger tips and can talk to ladies freely without the hassle of waiting. But I'm not complaining. I do need some rest too since I spent most of my day off being a coach.

"I should be happy but I will seriously miss you" it was true.

Sage has been staying at my place for five days. Those five days brought me closer to Sage than one can imagine. My home became much more comfortable with her there. It's hard to explain, but the atmosphere is different when Sage came.

Despite my decline she kept cooking our meals, may it be breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I may be a morning person but Sage is much more of a very early morning person. Usually, I wake up at six am, but when Sage stayed, I always have a full table every time I wake up. She wakes up at 4 am. Sage didn't tell me because I know she doesn't want to be a bother, I only know when I stayed up late till the morning after drinking a full 1.5 liters of coke during our movie night.

No doubt I like that she cooks for me but it just bothers me because she's my visitor, at some point I feel like I'm the visitor here. She's so attentive and hardworking. It's hard to do anything in my home. Once I pick up the dirty dishes she would appear out of nowhere to take over, insisting to the point that I have no choice but to give her the chore. I did try to make up by bringing groceries, take-outs, and baked goods but I feel like it wasn't enough compared to Sage's hardworking during her stay.

Nevertheless, I discovered why she's so attentive and hospitable. The reason is that she's half Filipino and lived her entire youth in the Philippines. As fellow Filipinos, we clicked off after knowing each other's races. I'm half Filipino and Nigerian while Sage is half Filipino and Korean.

After that, we were close to the bone. I've learned a lot from Sage and she also did to me. Sage has younger siblings back in the Philippines, both her parents were separated and they grew up with their father. Sadly her father passed away when she was still in high school, so she has to drop everything to support her siblings.

I shared my background too, about how my family lineage produced doctors and they expect me to become one too. Out of the two of us she has lived a much more problematic life. Now I know why she's so independent.

"I'm going to visit you every day Cas, and we practically work in the same place" she reassured, cleaning the isle of the bar as I restock the Hennessey, brandy, one of the best-selling drinks here in the bar.

"It's still different" I whined like a child, teasing her a little bit. Sage chuckles while rolling her eyes and I throw her my infamous puppy face in which she throws the rag directly at my face. I was surprised but I manage to make her laugh.

"Let's have a drink at your place, all on me. I do have to repay you for welcoming me into your home" 

"You've already done enough to repay it, Sage. So let me treat you for taking care of me like a baby"  I'm s grateful to have met her. "but is it okay with your boyfriend right?"