Chapter Thirteen

ATHELO

"Welcome to O'Hare International Airport, hope you have enjoyed our flight's service" 

"I have to pick up some files and meet up with the consigliere at nine to hand them the documents you signed," Leo said as soon he grab a hold of his luggage. Wearing his go-to attire, trousers and a green polo shirt. One of his favorites since I've seen this shirt most of the time.

Leo is my mentor ever since I joined the group. He's in his early fifties, grayish hair, crouching back, wrinkles in his forehead and cheeks, and pale blue eyes, active and well-oriented with the organization. Too active that he didn't have the time for his family that left him due to his absence. He has four kids in total, two girls and two boys, Leo isn't irresponsible enough to just forget about them so he sends most of his earnings to the kids. Despite his active involvement in his kid's finances, his wife prevents him to see them and Leo could not agree more. He's fully aware of his job and how it can affect his kids so he lets himself dwell with regrets in his life.

"For now settle yourselves in the St. Regis hotel. Most of the Capos will be there, I heard four of them, including you as well" Leo gave me two room keys. 

"How many bosses are there in this Mafia group?" Romano asked. 

Besides Leo, Romano and Fin came with me. For safety measurements because who knows if the candidates would welcome me full-heartedly. I have a gut feeling that they wouldn't welcome one another. I gave Ferdinand the lead in Monaco, while Marco and Isabella deals with another transaction in Paris. 

"There are five in total, it used to be seven but the other two have no one to replace them" Leo explained as we walk all together out of the airport. "That information isn't a hundred percent sure because only the underboss and the consigliere know who the bosses are. I only heard stories about them" 

That's right. Starting from the Capos and to the associates, non of us know who they are, even Leo who served most of his life in this organization. Their identity is too controversial. I hear most of them are a high-class individual who has a part in politics. 

"Wouldn't that be chaotic considering that the next bosses didn't go through being an underboss?" Fin joined in.  

The flight drained my energy. It feels bothersome to talk. I just want to lay down in bed and sleep throughout the day. Our flight was in the morning so I have to wake up early to catch it. The situation with the candidates for being the next bosses is fishy. Usually, it's the underboss who'll get to be the next in line, but in this situation, it's the Capos. It makes me wonder if the other Capos have a special connection with the bosses that brought them to earn the position. 

I don't want to ponder about it any longer. I'll know it today anyways so might as well just relax before the storm.

"I guess...but I think they will undergo training before settling in the position" Leo shrugged. "Anyways, I'm going to be late, use the car, I'll take a cab" Leo threw the keys to Romano, who caught it. Just then a worker guides us to a black Volkswagen golf. 

I didn't have to tell them I don't have the mood so they take the lead in settling in the front seat.  Romano was in the driver's seat while Fin was in the passenger's seat after putting out luggage in the back trunk. Before I could go inside the back seat, Leo stopped me.

"I'm proud of you Athelo" he smiled. I could tell it was sincere from the way his eyes disappear from his smile. I didn't want to talk it out, but I know very well that Leo sees me as a son. He didn't have someone to pour out his fatherly love that he kept stacking up the past few years of being separated from his children. When I arrived demanding for him to be my mentor, he got an excuse to finally let out his built-up emotions. I appreciate his care for my well-being, after all, I never received it from my biological father. I can confidently say that we have a bond. One that we didn't have to talk about for it to exist. I'm not affectionate, so is he but it didn't stop us from building one.